Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Pentax Kx Lens Correction Software

I searched but could not find a specific answer.

If I photograph say a building and want to correct barrel distortion... does Pentax supply software to correct it?

Can I correct both JPEG and RAW with software?

Is there any other good software alternatives that work with the Kx?

01-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The provided Pentax DCU4 includes lens correction for barrel distortion and chromatic aberration.

Not sure what you mean by "JPEG and RAW". You don't save to a RAW file, you save to a real image format. Once you've applied the correction to the image (whether to a RAW or otherwise), you'll save it to a final format (JPG, TIF, PNG, whatever).

Tons of other software does this type of correction.
01-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #3

Barrel distortion can be corrected using the in-camera lens correction feature of the K-x and K-7 (DA lenses only). This works less well for lenses that have barrel and pincusion distortion (moustache distortion) such as the DA 14mm f2.8. This works with jpeg, as well as raw (at least when I'm using lightroom)

PTlens software does a better job than the in-camera correction though:
PTLens
01-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DavoMrMac Quote
I searched but could not find a specific answer.

If I photograph say a building and want to correct barrel distortion... does Pentax supply software to correct it?

Can I correct both JPEG and RAW with software?

Is there any other good software alternatives that work with the Kx?
The Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4.11 contains a lens correction option for K-7 and K-x equipped with Pentax lens: marginal lumination, distortion and lateral chromatic aberration. These cameras have as well an on-board lens correction (for JPEG files). PDCU corrects both RAW and JPEG files. Non-Pentax lenses are not supported.

Alternately the software PTLens is simple and powerful as wells as very affordable (US$25). You can download the demo version at : PTLens. Try the software first (for free) and upgrade later. PTLens contains a huge library of camera and lenses. It corrects for barrel distortion, fisheye distortion, vignetting, perspective disotrtion, chromatic aberration. Further, if your lens is not listed, the PTLens developer is happy to calibrate the software after you send him some calibration photographs. I know first hand because I did it for a lens: I was impressed by the rapid and friendly response.

Hope that the advice will help...

Last edited by hcc; 01-30-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typos
01-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.
01-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above:
PTLens
Steve