Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K7 RAW conversion with Rawtherapee

This is kind of strange and maybe someone out there can explain. When opening a K7 RAW file (either format) in Rawtherapee the color balance is all off; the sky is pink, reds are blue, strange stuff. I shoot in RAW+JPG and the JPGs look great.
Open the same RAW files in UFRAW or the supplied Pentax software and they look fine. I used Rawtherapee with my K10D RAW files and no problems.
Anyone know what's up?
Bill

01-30-2010, 11:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably your version of Rawtherapee doesn't support the K-7. Are you using DNG files or PEF files? If you're using PEF, try switching to DNG. Those are almost always supported, regardless of what camera they came from.
01-31-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Goreman,

I have to admit I'm a little uninformed but I thought that a file is a file is a file. That it shouldn't matter what camera it's from. A PEF is a PEF and a DNG is a DNG.
The PEFs out of my K10D work just fine so maybe that's the problem. I removed Rawtherapee from my computer and downloaded the latest stable version and it still has the same problem
Downloaded the very latest, unstable version and it just crashes

Bill
01-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
I have to admit I'm a little uninformed but I thought that a file is a file is a file. That it shouldn't matter what camera it's from. A PEF is a PEF and a DNG is a DNG.
The PEFs out of my K10D work just fine so maybe that's the problem. I removed Rawtherapee from my computer and downloaded the latest stable version and it still has the same problem
Downloaded the very latest, unstable version and it just crashes
A DNG is a DNG, but Pentax changes the PEF format from camera model to camera model. A K-7 PEF is different from a K10D PEF (which is different from a K20D PEF, etc). When I first got my K-7, my version of Digikam did not support its PEF format and I got the exact same results you did. Switching to DNG format for my RAW files fixed the problem. I've since upgraded Digikam and now it supports the K-7's PEF files, but I still just use DNG on my camera. It's easier that way.

02-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've also experienced the same problems with a K20D and K-x while using RAWTherapee; it often takes a little while for them to update support for the new PEFs. Shooting DNG fixes the problem nicely.
02-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RawTherapee uses the dcraw code by Dave Coffin for RAW conversion (but uses its own demosaicing code). Here is the list of Pentax RAW formats supported by RawTherappe v2.4.1 (lastest stable code):

Pentax *ist D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2, K100D, K100D Super, K200D, K10D, K20D, K2000/K-m, K7

So as long as you have downloaded RT v2.4.1, you should be fine.

Jack