Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #1

K20D file names

Ok. So I am really trying to get my RAW files organized. I want my file to be year-mm-dd
example 2010-01-31 for filing. What my K20D is doing is 100_0131 and if I shoot another day without exporting photos there will be another folder that says 101_0201. I don't understand why it is doing this. I have set in my menu to name by date, but I also want the year in my file name. A friend has a Canon rebel and her camera came with software to organize the files. I tried using the Pentax photo browser 3 and that did not give any solutions either. I know this camera has to be able to put the damn year on it's file ext.

Previously I was just importing my pictures into Lightroom and then I realized I was making a dup. copy of all my RAW files. So I want to save room on the HD and not have to make a copy each time I import into LR. So Any suggestions or help is very appreciated.

Please help me..

Nikki

Last edited by madisonphotogrl; 01-31-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add more text
01-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you are first manually copying your files into your hard drive, which is what I do. You can tell Lightroom not to copy files while doing the import - this should take care of the double-copying issue. It's an option for importing that you can set.

As far as the file naming issue - I think you mean folder naming. The camera is naming the folder by date, but the year is just not part of the naming convention. There's no option to add that in camera either.

It's not a big deal as long as you adjust your workflow a little bit.

On my HD, I first create a folder that means something to me, like for example "Someone's Family 2010-01-12" then copy all the files from the SD Card into that folder. Once that's done, I then import them into LR without copying.
02-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom can also rename the files as you copy (or move) them to your computer. You should see an option to name the files with date, custom name, sequence, etc in the import dialogue.
02-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went through hoops looking at file naming when I got my K10D, because I wanted the names to differ from my *istD.

In the end, I use the default naming for files and folders, specifically everything on the card goes into the folder DCIM\100pentax\

that is until the number of shots exceeds 500 (I shoot jpegs) then it gets a new folder \101pentax\.

files are numbered sequentially.

when I "import" into my base computer, I bring all files from each camera into a special directory called transfer\K10D or transfer\istD depending on which camera I shot the photos with,

I then use the batch rename option in my photo editor (PSP X2 in my case) to change the file names to istD-XXXXX or K10D-XXXXX.

where the editor allows me to add custom prefixes and sequencial numbering starting from a number I enter.

This manages 2 issues at once, first, each camera has its own prefix so there is no duplicate file numbers for different photos. This is a real issue because my *istD, K10D and K7D all show the same approximate count. at around 2000. (the *istD and K10D are actually 12000 shots each the K7 at 2000.)

the second issue is the roll over after the 9999th shot. You will note my sequential file number is 5 digits not 4, so I am able to distinguish between the 2000th shot and the 12000th shot as well.

I have done nothing with the K7 yet because pentax allowed for custom prefixes, so all my shots are _K7DXXXX at present.

This keeps the images straght and avoids confusion over file numbers.

After renaming, they are copied to a master directory tree arranged by year\month\event

this keeps all the shots sorted by date and event,

For post processing I copy the shots from the master directory into a working directory, where I crop edit, delete etc, to put together the final shots, but I never delete origonals.

Same for special subjects. I have a collection of wild life shots, which are cropped PP'd etc, sorted by other criteria (as opposed to date) these again are copies from the master, so If I ever want to do a different processing, I can go back to the master and start over

02-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flexible Renamer is a very powerful renaming program, and it is free. Works with Windows 7/64bit.

My other thread about it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...ing-files.html