Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Twelve Ways to Process the Same Photo in Lightroom

Lightroom is generally known as more of an organizing tool and a batch editor rather than a real outlet for post-processing creativity, but I've had some success with pushing it to its limits. I offer here twelve different versions of the same photo, all processed in Lightroom from the RAW file. I realize that this type of post-processing isn't for everyone, and I don't mean to champion Lightroom over other editors; I merely hope to show, to those who might not know, that you can do some fun things with it.

As a bonus, if you'd like to vote for which one is your favorite, I plan on making the settings of the most popular one into a preset for free download from my website. And if you hate them all, that's okay too

02-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I like them all! Each one (obviously) has a different, but pleasant tone/feel.

BTW I do the same thing in Lightroom (while I have the current beta, anyway) and I always have a hard time deciding which final one share. Then I end up not sharing any, because the decision is a pain. I hate being indecisive.
02-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing these. I don't know that I have a favorite, though. All twelve accomplish a purpose.

Lightroom, while not a full-featured photo manipulation tool, is actually pretty powerful. I seldom have a use for anything more unless I am doing something that requires masking, layers, or local adjustments (I am still on v1.4). The ability to create multiple virtual copies, clone development settings, and create presets is also extremely helpful.

Steve

(The thread title reminded me of that movie "Thirteen Conversations About One Thing".)
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very nice presets indeed. I would have a hard time voting for one, particularly since you didn't include an untreated image to see how each effect changes it. It's the same problem I would have on my own photos anyway - some photos beg for a particular effect while for others it will not work. Great job indeed!

I've never thought of Lightroom as an organizing tool - at least beyond the single shoot catalog level. I cannot fathom cataloging my entire library with it considering the insane amount of images I've shot over the past decade. I do find Lightroom absolutely invaluable to my workflow and post-processing and simply couldn't do without.

02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Keitha, they're all incredible! I suppose it helps when you start with a well-captured and very creative shot. :P If I had to choose, numbers 3 and 7 are my favorites. I've been using LR more and more lately and I still can't get all of my images to grab me, but I'm making progress.

P.S. Get ready for a flood of "Keitha Preset" images to hit the web as soon as you offer the download!
02-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

i really enjoy lightroom! i think its wonderful in regards to unleashing the creativity behind post processing
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

I also love LR. I find it so easy to quickly process images. Personally I like #4 and #5. I love the blue eye pop. Where do you get your presets?

Thanks for sharing.

02-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update, all!

The preset it available for download from this blog post: A Scenic World Blog Archive The Making of “Face Paint with Silvers”

I also go into details about each settings. The original image is included there as well, but I figured I'd post it here anyway since there's been some interest:

And to layfsphoto, I make all my presets myself
02-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Whoa, never knew you posted here, Keitha! I've come across your site many a times for pp/editing tips. Thanks for sharing!
02-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Gotta say I like em all (well except for #5) too Keitha. Each is nice in a different way and work well with the shot. #5 is just glaring and I dont think the desaturation and oversaturation tonalities work. However, #5 also has the most striking eyes. I think if you toned down the colors in the face paints and left the eyes alone it could become my favorite of the whole bunch.

Mike
02-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Gotta say I like em all (well except for #5) too Keitha. Each is nice in a different way and work well with the shot. #5 is just glaring and I dont think the desaturation and oversaturation tonalities work. However, #5 also has the most striking eyes. I think if you toned down the colors in the face paints and left the eyes alone it could become my favorite of the whole bunch.

Mike
Interestingly No 5 is also the one I like least. Looks too painterly for my taste and not like a photography anymore.

Ben
02-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing these with us. I use Lightroom quite a bit but haven't learned to play so much with the various sliders. In particular, I tend not to play with colors very much due to my red-green colorblindness. Looks like I'll just have to give it a try...

Btw, I actually like #5 quite a bit!
02-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Keitha, now that I see the original I can really appreciate how well done your presets are. Excellent job indeed.
02-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Interesting, I like #11 if we are still voting. I am just finishing my lightroom trail, on to photoshop next, trying to keep open mind and try them all before buying one. I like to see the 'limits' of what each can do.
02-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I like #3 #8 #11 TFS

cheers