Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Frustrated with color calibration

I have Dell 2209WA calibrated by an Eye One 2 Display colorimeter.

I am printing with a Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

The calibration, which I have repeated several times seems fine, however my prints have a distinct green color cast visible.

I have ensured that the printer control of color is off and that the color control is coming form Lightroom 2. I am using Epson paper with the Espon paper profiles.

I can't figure out where I'm going wrong...

The only odd thing is that I have attempted to set the luminsescence to 80 as I've read online that this is optimal for prints and I cannot get the 2209WA down below 92 even with brightness set to zero.

Here is an example... Let me know if you see a color cast.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by Javaslinger; 02-05-2010 at 06:23 AM.
02-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Follow the recommended luminance that X-Rite gives you in the calibration (I think it's 110).
Run a power clean on your printer (yes, I know it's expensive, but the last time I had this happen it was a clogged head).
Finally, check, double check and then recheck your profile settings, though it sounds to me like you have this part right. It's still really easy to get a mismatch (plpp vs. plpp250 for example).
I opened your image in Photoshop. To my eye it looks a little dark and a little red.
There is definitely some clipping going on.
My monitor is a calibrated Lacie.
02-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
graphicgr8s

If it has the cast in all of your prints then create an action to get rid of it. Then on every photo you want to print just run the action. Pretty simple actually and you can batch process them. I have one machine that has a red color cast. When I print to it I run the action. It looks wrong on screen but prints perfect. Sometimes it just happens.

Was at a NAPP seminar and Kelby was talking about this. Turns out I wasn't the only one with the problem. And I am going to high end commercial output devices. Not little inkjets.
02-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
Did the nozzle cleaning and it still has a green color cast...

An action is not a very satisfying solution. I spent a small fortune (for me) to get a calibratable monitor, a dedicated photo printer, and a calibration device so that I would not have to 'guesstimate' color corrections.

An action would essentially mean that I have to include a fudge factor... how do I determine that fudge factor? Would it be consistent in all photo's I print with the 1400?? Why did I spend all this money if I just have to go back to trial and error...

Anyway, it looks like it's the printer I guess rather than the monitor....

Is there something else I could check to make sure that something is not overriding the color control from Lightroom?

02-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Is a 'power clean' just running the head cleaning in printer maintenance? Or is there a 'deeper' clean somewhere I'm not seeing?

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Follow the recommended luminance that X-Rite gives you in the calibration (I think it's 110).
Run a power clean on your printer (yes, I know it's expensive, but the last time I had this happen it was a clogged head).
Finally, check, double check and then recheck your profile settings, though it sounds to me like you have this part right. It's still really easy to get a mismatch (plpp vs. plpp250 for example).
I opened your image in Photoshop. To my eye it looks a little dark and a little red.
There is definitely some clipping going on.
My monitor is a calibrated Lacie.
02-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #6

It may be an ambient light issue. The green tint sounds like you're viewing under fluorescent lighting (which typically has a green spike).

View the print in daylight and watch the green tint disappear.
02-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote

An action is not a very satisfying solution. I spent a small fortune (for me) to get a calibratable monitor, a dedicated photo printer, and a calibration device so that I would not have to 'guesstimate' color corrections.

An action would essentially mean that I have to include a fudge factor... how do I determine that fudge factor? Would it be consistent in all photo's I print with the 1400?? Why did I spend all this money if I just have to go back to trial and error...

Anyway, it looks like it's the printer I guess rather than the monitor....

Is there something else I could check to make sure that something is not overriding the color control from Lightroom?
It may not be a "satisfying" solution but when the pros need to do it with even more expensive equipment then you're using well it's a necessary evil. One other thing is your inks vary from batch to batch. Not much usually but enough. And Cyan especially is considered a "dirty" ink. It's not a true reciprocal ink. As for the fluorescent lights. There's a reason print shops spend 10's of 1000 of dollars on light systems.

Looking at your calibration you've calibrated the monitor. How did you calibrate your printer?
02-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sooooo it turns out..

My Magenta ink was running low... not out.. not even with the low ink signal when it first started, but after all the nozzle cleanings I tried it was really low...

Soooo... I switched it out and it's all back to normal.

I don't know if the ink cartridge was clogged or lower than it appeared, but that fixed it..

Damn that ink is expensive!

02-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

If your Epson is running the K3 inkset and you don't print often, every now and again take the carts off your printer and give them a shake to remix the ink.
The K3 inks are pigment based, not dye based and the pigment can settle out and clog things up.
02-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
Just because you did a nozzle clean doesn't mean your nozzles aren't still blocked. There should be a nozzle check option as well which prints a pattern for each colour nozzle. If any of the colour patterns has an interrupted pattern, you still have a blocked nozzle.
03-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #11

I know you have fixed the issue... which is great... however another tip that i went through hell and back with

My canon MP530 (ok so not great at photos but still plenty good enough for me) had a very green cast on all my pictures i printed out... even after buying a screen calibration device and recalibrating a million times etc etc...

after many cartridges and many sheets of paper... it turned out that lightroom was the issue! its a problem on that mac that turned me on to it... on the mac running the 32 bit version solves the issue... so i installed the 32bit version alongside the 64 bit (in vista) and guess what.. both versions worked! very strange.... hopefully LR3 will solve the issue itself.

Weird thing also is that CS3 always worked ok... until the other night... where every colour but blue printed ok... and the blues were saturated as hell... printed in LR produced an ok result tho....

Printing a colour still confuses me.....

Steve