Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Get a Mac!? that's helpful - The man is trying to keep his old PC going, not looking for a replacement. Otherwise he would be asking for new computer recommendations.

jeez chill out.

02-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
jeez chill out.
Try to make helpful comments.

To the OP, what is your cache size set to and where is it located?
If you can, put a second HD into your machine and put your LR cache onto it (preferences/file handling). LR will, by default, create a 1gb cache, but if you increase the size of it to a couple of gigs or more, Lightroom will render more quickly. Also, on import, set the program to give 1:1 previews, and wait for them to render or else you run into rendering 1:1 previews hell.
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Try to make helpful comments.
You're one to talk...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/90408-turning-off-lcd.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/89985-what-pri...hese-days.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/89922-folder-file-name.html

So maybe mind your own business.
02-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Lets see, how was I supposed to be helpful with the guy who asked for help, but didn't tell us what camera he had?

Yes, in my honest opinion, all prime lenses are essential. I even posted a picture backing this up.

Have you ever heard the old adage that if you give a man a fish, you'll feed him for a day, but if you teach him ho to fish, you'll feed him for a lifetime?
I sent him to the correct page in his owners manual for information.
Is it more helpful to spoon feed him a fish or teach him how to catch his own fish?

But really, how helpful a comment is "buy a Mac" to a person who is trying to sort out an issue on a Windows based computer?

02-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
You may also set the virtual memory to a fixed size which will be faster than the dynamic size. Also, disable anything non-essential startup program through msconfig.
This is an excellent tip - one of the standards. If you use a paging file that is not a fixed size, it fragments. It also causes Windows drive manager to take a certain amount of time to figure out where to allocate the next segment of the paging file.
02-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I guess you, Albert and wlachan completely missed my post on this issue.

QuoteQuote:
You need to turn your page file back on and up your page file size, consensus is 1.5x your actual memory which would be 3072
I posted this in #5.
02-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #37
Veteran Member

sounds to me like your computer is on the way out, most notably the hard-drive.

hard-drives wear out, and quite honestly should be replaced every 2 years if you use them for anything other than storage (ie, daily operation)

if you're still pushing a P4....

second of all Lightroom does in fact feed on RAM, and no, 2 gigabytes is not enough.. i would cry if i had to go back to 2 gigs of ram. Even my 8gigs has started to feel slow (which is what happens after you get to play around with a 12 gig machine :/ )

you do not need a new graphics card.. thankfully lightroom/photoshop are not GPU heavy

if you are really that poor, just buy a new harddrive, it will be a night and day difference even in your current machine.

PS. mtroute is as big of a troll as they come, he's about as useful on this forum as a styrofoam cup at the bottom of the ocean.

02-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I guess you, Albert and wlachan completely missed my post on this issue.

I posted this in #5.
I did indeed!
02-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #39

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I just want to keep my old comp. in work with morden applications wich is Lightroom, for example. Money is not important...
02-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

lightroom likes ram and dual core

8 gigs on a duo core with a fresh HD lightroom will run lightning fast compared to what you currently experience.

you have a P4 for crying outloud.. thats ancient tech, time to upgrade.
02-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You should see LR on a Quad Core Intel Extreme machine. Even with 4 GB of RAM on a 64 bit OS, the difference is stunning. Toss in a 10k or 15k RPM drive and you'll really notice an incredible speed boost in file handling, preview rendering, and exporting.
02-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It runs well on my dual core with 4gb ram. And I'm running LR 3 Beta 64 bit on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. So far I've not had any problems with LR.

coa75, old computers such as yours will always run slower than modern machines. Heck, LR wasn't even around when your computer was built.

As others said, it takes a lot to run LR. Your computer just isn't up to snuff.

When I said XP runs best on 1gb ram, I was not thinking you only had a P4. I ran XP on a dual core with only 1gb ram.
02-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #43
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
get a mac.
Get a brain.