Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting JPEG, Converting to RAW?

Someone has told me that he shoots JPEG and then uses Photoshop Elements to open the files in RAW. He then manipulates copies of those RAW files and saves the copies as JPEGs. I don't see the point of this, and he's not sure of himself so can't give a coherent explanation of why he does it, other than to say he saw it in a lesson somewhere.

Can anyone give me some idea why anyone would want to do this? Am I right to think that there is no point in shooting JPEG and then converting those files into RAW on the computer? I should say that I don't use Photoshop or Elements, simply because I've not had to, because I have GraphicConverter and Gimp.

02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Tamia,
I believe it's impossible, let alone has no sense.
Maybe they shoot in RAW+JPEG and then do PP?

AK
02-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ak may be right that he shoots in raw + jpg and converts the raw file.

If he is simply editing the jpeg from the camera, some raw converters will let you open a jpeg file and make adjustments "as if" you were working with the raw image. But his starting point is still a jpeg file and the data lost in the original raw conversion (in camera), cannot be magically recovered by any raw converter. He will simply be editing the jpeg that came out of the camera.

You cannot create a raw file from a jpeg.
02-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

You can open jpegs in Raw and have almost all the same adjustments as a raw file. One that is missing IIRC is white balance. Bad thing about saving back to a jpeg is it's a very lossy format. So every time you save you lose information. I always shoot Raw + but always edit raw files. Then save as tiff. Use jpegs for quick uploads to email/web. A quick resize and I am done. For the ones worth it I open and adjust Raw. These never go online. But that's just me. I don't want anyone to be able to use my work.

02-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

RAW processing of JPEG images

I think the confusion here results from the fact that the Adobe RAW application does work quite well on JPEG images. But, they are still JPEG images with all of its limitations. Adobe RAW is included in Adobe Bridge, Elements, and Photoshop. Adobe RAW can do much more with a RAW image from your camera than it can with a JPEG.
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
...and he's not sure of himself so can't give a coherent explanation of why he does it...
LMAO!! Classic!

Before messing with RAW you should...
1. Understand what RAW is
2. Understand the processes that the camera performs on RAW to produce an image.
2. Have a reason for wanting to take control over a particular process.

Until you've got these, there's very little to be gained by messing with RAW.
02-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
He's likely shooting JPG and editing a JPG, then saving the modified JPG.

Yes, RAW editing tools can still control some functions in JPG files, but they are indeed limited when compared to the feature set you get with RAW editing. Beyond that, they just don't have the same impact/results as when you edit an actual RAW file.

To me it would be like the difference between a 16 color box of crayons and an artist's paint kit with dozens of colors, brushes, and tools.

02-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your views on this, and what you all have to say confirms my suspicions. Now I've got to find a diplomatic way to tell this guy.
02-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Thanks to everyone for your views on this, and what you all have to say confirms my suspicions. Now I've got to find a diplomatic way to tell this guy.
Why do you want to shatter his illusions? If he is happy with the results, why mess with it.
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Why do you want to shatter his illusions? If he is happy with the results, why mess with it.
I don't want to shatter his illusions at all. What I meant was that I would be saying if he likes it, do it, but that it's not a technique everyone would adopt. He seems to think it's the only PP method to employ, and he pressed me by saying something like, "So you don't think much of my method, then." I sure don't want to give him a hard time, just let him know that there are many approaches.