Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hide All Mask in Photoshop - need help

I am having a terrible time with applying a "Hide All" mask in Photoshop.

I am following the step-by-step approach of Sharpening in Lab Color, by Harold Davis in another forum.

I am quite comfortable using the sharpening technique with using only the Lab Color/Lightness channel approach.

The second part guides you this time with duplicate layers and using a black"Hide All" masks.
The first time I tried it, it worked!! Don't ask me what I did wrong this time around, but I simply cannot reproduce the effect.
The part that really bothers me is when you have to use the Brush tool to "paint" only the area which you wish sharpened, in a duplicate layer.
Usually, you would see the actual effect that it does on the image: you can see the brush doing its sharpening work. As I said, this time, I cannot see that happening anymore.

So, I grabbed my books and visited a few other links and the technique is similar, only I can't do it anymore.

Has anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Any help anyone?

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 02-15-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: spelling
02-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
efg

Photos: Gallery
I use PSP, but techniques are similar...

Often when it doesn't work for me I usually have a non-black color chosen on the palette from the last time I used it for something else, or the wrong mode for the layer or for paint bucket tool is selected.

It's my favorite mistake though to have the paint brush left on darken or lighten when I try using the mask.
02-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by efg Quote
I use PSP, but techniques are similar...

Often when it doesn't work for me I usually have a non-black color chosen on the palette from the last time I used it for something else, or the wrong mode for the layer or for paint bucket tool is selected.

It's my favorite mistake though to have the paint brush left on darken or lighten when I try using the mask.
This might be where I make a mistake ... the brush itself.
How would you make sure that the brush has the necessary parameters?

JP
02-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, OK .... I have it!
I had forgotten that the foreground colour of the mask should have been white, and I got that, while using the brush, by entering "D" from the keyboard.
Now, it works for any adjustment I want to make.
Thanks.

JP

02-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
efg

Photos: Gallery
Great! It's usually something simple like that. Glad you have it working again.