Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2007, 06:09 AM   #1

Raw Therapee: free RAW converter/photo editor

I've recently been experimenting with Raw Therapee, a free RAW converter and digital photo editor, from Raw Therapee. I'm really impressed with this software and wanted to find out if anybody else has tried it, and get opinions. Download from Raw Therapee.

Steve . . .

07-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
free converter.... very interesting.. am downloading it to give it a try. thanks for the heads up
07-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wheelgate Quote
I've recently been experimenting with Raw Therapee, a free RAW converter and digital photo editor, from Raw Therapee. I'm really impressed with this software and wanted to find out if anybody else has tried it, and get opinions. Download from Raw Therapee.

Steve . . .
I tried it for a while, but I still prefer UFRaw's output. It will be a nice program some day, though.

Mike
07-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I just tried it for one pic. I think its pretty good for a freeware program.
I think I could have used only that program to to the whole processing for many pictures if they just added some basic layer or masking capability. The picture I was testing needed to have the background subdued and the foreground empasized so I couldnt do both. but as a raw converter Id say its pretty good but since you still need to use another program like photoshop to do extensive PP then I geuss it wont be used so much. I like several of their ideas though.

imo this could be a great program if they just added a few things. And I like it better than the pentax software

07-25-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks!

I was looking for a raw converter for my new laptop and I couldn't find my Pentax CD. Paint Shop Pro X came with Raw Shooters Essentials (which I use on my desktop) but since Adobe bought Raw Shooter, I can't register/activate the program.

I played with Raw Therapee tonight and it does more than RSE minus the batch convert. If I need to batch convert I'll kick the kids off the desktop and use it.

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 07-25-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Love the search function :-)
07-31-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I used Raw Therapee for a while, but found it just too slow.

Now I use either Picasa or Irfanview for the quick jobs, and ACDSEE Pro for the rest.

Picasa and Irfanview are both free, just google them up. And ACDSEE has a test version out, as a free download. Again use google if you want to try it.
08-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #7

Raw Editing SW

I just found Studio line Photo Basic software and its free. It is fast compared to Picasa which I was using. Try and see if this works better than the other free software.

It also has options of uploading thumbnails after choosing the choice of thumbnails to the web which I am yet to try.

thanks

Tasha

08-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have been using rawtherapee for a few weeks now. It seems to work fairly well, but I find it a little cumbersome to use. I like Lightzone better for usability.

With Light Crafts firmly on the fence over linux support, I may have to get used to rawtherapee.

I like ufraw too, but it seems like I can get better results with Lightzone and Rawtherapee most of the time. You can't beat ufraw-batch for quick batch conversions though.
08-24-2007, 09:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I just tried Faststone, and it's highly recommended by several people.
It's free here FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ...
09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

RAW Therapee updated

I've been using this program for about 2 months now and think it is well on it's way to being a great product. The latest update, version 2.2 has a lot of new things in it and was just posted last week.

Regards,

Ken
10-12-2007, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi, I used v2.0 ? I think it was, and was very impressed with the image quality that it produced. It didn't have colour management then (I just went to rawtherapee.com and seen that it does now) and I also found lightroom better for workflow (however there is a pretty huge price difference , so I am not using it now, but thought it was excellent and have recommended it a many people.

Phil