Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
new large format printer suggestions

Hi, some advice please, I am looking to buy a new printer purely for photo printing.
I have always in the past used various ink-jet Epsom models with their inks and paper as well as other brands of inks and paper, and been fairly happy with the results.
I now want to get a printer that will handle larger than A4 [US letter] sizes certainly A3 size.
there seems to be thermal ink sublimation printers as well as ink-jet ?
comments and suggestions please ?
Alistair

02-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sure there will be other opinions. However, I completed a digital photo class last fall. We spent a lot of time on printing. I'd hardly call myself an expert but...the Epsom 3800 series for example this one:
Epson Stylus Pro 3880 17in A2+ Cut Sheet ? Inkjet from Epson printer shop

Was suggested as being a very good printer for the price. We used one just like it and got very good results. It has 9 different ink slots and 3 blacks. That really helps with the photo printing.

As this does up to 17" (A2? sorry we 'mercan's don't do that A paper size deal) you can print large. It get's really good results when you calibrate your printer to the paper etc.
02-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thermal sublimation printers above DIN A4 size are going to cost you an arm and a leg. The sensible size limit for these printers (Mitsubishi, Copal Fuji etc.) really is DIN A4. Also, these make only sense, if you print a large number of images.

Everything in the DIN A3 and above department is inkjet. There is a reason, why basically any fine art printer uses inkjets today. And the reason is, that they are universally good at printing colour and b&w and they can print on different papers. So you can choose between glossy or peral or matte or structured or whatever. You can't do that with a dye sub printer.

If you have been satisfied with Epsons in the past, buy a R1900 or R2440 or one of the Canon 9000/9500 printers. These max. out at DIN A3+. If you want to go larger, the choices get more limited. It is then either a photo printer like the already mentioned Epson 3880 or 4800 or a HP Z series (2100/3100) or you would need to go the full monty for a real large format printer.

Ben