Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #1

Old slides and negatives

I've got a box full of old slides and negatives, mostly snapshot stuff. However there are a few images I'd like to preserve at some point. I went out and bought a slide/negative scanner (el cheapo model). When I view the slides or negatives I see a ton of dust or hairs or whatever it is all over the image. The obvious thing would be to use compressed air to blow it off. It didn't work too well.

My question is, if I send negatives or slides off to have them digitized, do they do any static cleaning to them prior to scanning? I know it sounds like a silly question, but I sure don't want these to be lost forever in a box. I don't think I'll ever get back to the places around the world I traveled while in the Navy and those images however pedestrian are snapshots of my life then.

02-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can try brushing the slides with a soft brush, blow air through the bristles first to charge them.

Except for Kodachrome, digital ICE can deal with some dust - too much dust and it starts to impact the resolution.

A pro lab ought to be able to deal with dust - ask first!
02-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You can rewash the negatives in water again and hang them to dry.
02-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Might be impractical to wash mounted slides... take a look at what B&H lists
Developing & Processing | B&H Photo Video

See the categories for film cleaning brushes & pads, and cleaning solutions. I've never used one of these solutions, and looks like you can't mail order them, but perhaps something like that will help clear the gunk? The brushes tend to operate on static electricity principles...

02-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Slides are positives. The wash advise was for the negatives.

Last edited by tuco; 02-24-2010 at 08:50 AM.
02-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Slides are positives. I mentioned negatives.
you have a point there
02-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The good labs have scanners which automatically remove most of the dust from the shot for you.
With that in mind, if you only want a few scanned it might be worth the extra $ to just send them to a good ab, and let them deal with the problem

02-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know about the El Cheapo scanner (or which scanner that means) but the Digital ICE feature on many scanners will take quite a bit of the dirt out of the image without much damage to the resolution. Given the type of shot that is being described here, it may not impact the enjoyment of the scans at all. I scan a good deal of black and white, which does not work with ICE. I brush with a soft brush and blow with a Giotto or canned air. My compressor in the garage is supposed to be oil-less, but I've never had the guts to try it on film.

Even with that care, I spend a good deal of time in Photoshop taking out tiny specks. What I can't use very well is the Photoshop "despeckle" function, unless I am working on a large area with no detail. That feature tends to remove things that are important.
02-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I edit in the GIMP and it has a "despeckle" filter too and, yeah, it is not too helpful. By time I adjust it down to not soften the image, its usefulness is diminished. Cleaning the negateve as GeneV discribed and spending a little time with the healing tool for BW seems to be what has to be done. If you can wet mount your negatives on your scanner, I hear, that does a really good job taking out dust.
02-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks y'all.........
02-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I go about the more labour intensive route. I try to remove as much dust from the glass and negs as possible before scanning. When it's done, I go over the image with a clone stamp to remove what I missed. Lightroom also has a tool that will remove small specks. Don't remember the name though. I find it works well.
03-01-2010, 02:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I do most of my spotting with the Spot Healing brush in Photoshop. It's quick and easy, especially if you use a Wacom tablet (something I always recommend!). Failing that, the ordinary Healing brush, or, in certain cases, the Clone brush. For low-contrast images or parts of images with large quantities of fine dust, the Polaroid Dust and Scratch filter (available free on the web) works well and is very adjustable - watch out for unwanted edge artifacts though.
03-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
I go about the more labour intensive route. I try to remove as much dust from the glass and negs as possible before scanning. When it's done, I go over the image with a clone stamp to remove what I missed. Lightroom also has a tool that will remove small specks. Don't remember the name though. I find it works well.
Trying to remove the dust is certainly the best route to begin. When I am done brushing and blowing, the dust that remains is usually that preseved by prehistoric processing. I'll spot before I rewet.