Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Help! My prints are darker than My Monitor, why

I had ordered prints from Snapfish and Walmart. My prints seem to be more saturated and darker than what my pictures look like on the cumputer?..I am not sure what to do about that. I just bought this Camera so I am new to SLR's..But the pics should look like how they look on my computer, right???

And I should add, some pics have a little bit of red in them???

02-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there anyway you can post one so we can see what you're seeing?
02-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Your experience is not unusual. While modern print process does a really great job, there are fundamental differences between the image as emitted as colored light by your monitor and the image as reflected from a pigment coated sheet of paper. My home printer produces very nice finely detailed images, but the appearance of the prints usually tends to be somewhat darker and less "luminous" than the image on the screen. My understanding is that higher quality papers coupled with the current generation of inks might produce better results, but the process would still be one of trial and error. (Sort of like printing from film transparencies in the darkroom. Hours of work and $$$ on paper and chemistry for one print!)

Steve
02-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, what Steve said too.

02-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a very popular topic and has a very short answer - your monitor is brighter than the prints, especially if its an LCD which people tend to run the Gamma much higher than prints can obtain. CRT monitors were less of a problem.
02-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
This is a very popular topic and has a very short answer - your monitor is brighter than the prints, especially if its an LCD which people tend to run the Gamma much higher than prints can obtain. CRT monitors were less of a problem.
Which is why I still color correct on CRT.

To the OP. Is your monitor calibrated? Are you running the correct printer profile? Are you using the correct paper profile? Each of my printers at work use different profiles and paper profiles. If I go to offset then that's yet another profile depending on the press it goes to and the paper we're using and even the brand of inks.
02-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Which is why I still color correct on CRT.

To the OP. Is your monitor calibrated? Are you running the correct printer profile? Are you using the correct paper profile? Each of my printers at work use different profiles and paper profiles. If I go to offset then that's yet another profile depending on the press it goes to and the paper we're using and even the brand of inks.
Yes my laptop is calibrated, but to its default. I had always used my desktop for fixing up prints and then ordering them through the websites. Not the laptop.
Does laptops make a differance when fixing up the pics then?...I wonder if I should just go back to the desk top and do it.
How do you know what walmart or snapfish or even walgreens paper profiles are?
02-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Softsoap Quote
Yes my laptop is calibrated, but to its default. I had always used my desktop for fixing up prints and then ordering them through the websites. Not the laptop.
Does laptops make a differance when fixing up the pics then?...I wonder if I should just go back to the desk top and do it.
Calibrated to its default? The it's not calibrated. On my HP laptop (I hate that thing) I can do limited correction. On my desktop is where I do 99.9999999999999% of all my work.

Have you looked on their websites? I've never sent anything to them. All my wedding/event/important shots went to a pro lab. Now I just print to a Kodak printer at home.

02-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
CRTs are only better in that the image's appearance doesn't vary so much based on the angle you're viewing them - they are still just as bad if not calibrated properly.

Although some people can eye-ball calibration, the best way is using a colorimeter. You are then calibrating to a standard instead of what a particular manufacturer thinks is right or what your eyeball/brain combo thinks is right.
02-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Softsoap,

I had the same problem and made a thread called 'Do you sit in front of a laptop or PC?'.

My prints were horribly dark and oversaturated because I did all my editing on a laptop. Stay away from them! I ruined a lot of photos in this manner.
02-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
CRTs are only better in that the image's appearance doesn't vary so much based on the angle you're viewing them - they are still just as bad if not calibrated properly.

Although some people can eye-ball calibration, the best way is using a colorimeter. You are then calibrating to a standard instead of what a particular manufacturer thinks is right or what your eyeball/brain combo thinks is right.
No the LCD's tend to fill in the shadow areas way too much no matter what angle you view it at. And there is a reason we send thousands of dollars on color correct lights for the proofing area. And use densitometers on the press sheets instead of eyeballing it.
02-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Shutterbug Magazine had an article awhile back that sorts through this very common problem. Here's a link:
Shutterbug: Are Your Prints Too Dark?
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
Shutterbug Magazine had an article awhile back that sorts through this very common problem. Here's a link:
Shutterbug: Are Your Prints Too Dark?
Thank you Slinco, very helpful article and i'm going to try the software they recommended. I have identical problems to that discussed by the OP but differ in only the details, like a different printing company, COSTCO :-)
02-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Softsoap Quote
From what you are saying, you are not running a calibrated monitor.
Laptops generally have pretty poor screens for doing photo editing.
Anyway, if you can manage to calibrate the thing you will do better.
You don't need to know the profile of the lab, you need to send them files that have been converted to sRGB colourspace.
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
From what you are saying, you are not running a calibrated monitor.
Laptops generally have pretty poor screens for doing photo editing.
Anyway, if you can manage to calibrate the thing you will do better.
You don't need to know the profile of the lab, you need to send them files that have been converted to sRGB colourspace.
But it helps. When I was sending my stuff out it sure did help a lot.