Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #1

Aperture RAW update Breaks Pentax K-7 DNG support

Hello all, I posted this on DP but hope to get additional insight here. So I have been using Aperture 2 for some time now with my K-7 and have had no support issues. I recently loaded the new Aperture RAW update and now all of my DNG files from the K-7 are shown as unsupported files. Any ideas?? Please tell me Apple didn't pull one of their famous fixes to force me to Aperture 3...
I was provided a link that allowed me to revert to the prior RAW firmware and this fixed my issue however I am trying to figure out why I should not be able to update to the new RAW firmware and retain support for my prior K-7 files. I cannot believe Apple would release the new RAW knowing it caused unsupported files in all prior DNG files from the camera that were fine prior to the upgrade. I tried to choose a new RAW profile in Aperture but the file states loading and cannot be changed. I cannot be the only one impacted here. Any ideas???

02-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Sounds like Apple is becoming their competition.
If you can't beat them, I guess the next best thing is to emulate them.
02-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by as4ronin Quote
I recently loaded the new Aperture RAW update and now all of my DNG files from the K-7 are shown as unsupported files. Any ideas?? Please tell me Apple didn't pull one of their famous fixes to force me to Aperture 3...
I'm afraid you're right. Digital Camera Raw Compatability Update 3.1 is only for Aperture 3 and iPhoto '09. See here. Sorry.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sounds like Apple is becoming their competition.
If you can't beat them, I guess the next best thing is to emulate them.
That makes you happy, doesn't it?
02-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

FWIW the RAW Camera update works well with 3.01, although I had hoped some of the newer lenses would now be listed (they're not.)

Also, focus points appear from my K20D, but not from the K-7.

02-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Well, the RAW update certainly had an impact to Aperture 2 and impacted compatibility with the DNG from the K-7 that had been working fine all along. I am starting to think Apple is not aware of the "break" they caused for current Aperture users. An update should not create an "Unsupported File" issue with standard DNG Adobe files coming out of the K-7.. My guess is Apple messed up.
03-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Even if Apple knew about it, they never discuss those issues or when a fix will be forthcoming, if ever. I agree with your sentiments, however. It doesn't make sense for them to offer a compatibility update for multiple cameras and two programs that ends up breaking some other features. Say you wanted to keep Aperture 2 and iPhoto '09 and own a K-7 and one of the micro-4/3 bodies (the E-P1 doesn't have in-camera DNG support). You're out of luck, I guess. Hopefully they'll address it. Eventually.
03-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #7

They added support for PEF files from the K-7 and the K-x, and also added camera specific profiles to DNG files from those cameras, where before they were treating them as generic cameras. It sounds like the latter, coupled with the "requires Aperture 3" that they slapped on that update broke generic DNG support in Aperture 2. I'd say that's a bug, and should be reported to Apple as such. Other people have had issues with that Camera Raw update, and there's a post on the Apple Aperture discussion board on how to back it off your system, so you go back to the older generic DNG processing, in the meanwhile. Or upgrade to Aperture 3.
03-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by as4ronin Quote
Hello all, I posted this on DP but hope to get additional insight here. So I have been using Aperture 2 for some time now with my K-7 and have had no support issues. I recently loaded the new Aperture RAW update and now all of my DNG files from the K-7 are shown as unsupported files. Any ideas?? Please tell me Apple didn't pull one of their famous fixes to force me to Aperture 3...
I was provided a link that allowed me to revert to the prior RAW firmware and this fixed my issue however I am trying to figure out why I should not be able to update to the new RAW firmware and retain support for my prior K-7 files. I cannot believe Apple would release the new RAW knowing it caused unsupported files in all prior DNG files from the camera that were fine prior to the upgrade. I tried to choose a new RAW profile in Aperture but the file states loading and cannot be changed. I cannot be the only one impacted here. Any ideas???
could you please provide us the link you got to revert the situation? I'm facing the same problem here and it's really sad having to use iPhoto again...