Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aperture 3 performance

Has anyone upgraded to aperture 3 and found the performance terrible?
General adjustments seem ok. I was thinking i get used to it. Then i tried to export 3 photos to email. It took 35mins. I can't live with that.

Computer is an imac dual core 2.0ghz 3gb ram. In aperture 2 exporting 8 photos to email takes a couple of minutes.

I'm just happy to have backed up my library.... going back to aperture 2!

mike

02-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Forum Member

I use the mail from mac, and through hotmail. When sending photos I never export to mail, but always drag and drop, and it is near instantaneous. The photos are not RAW format once I drag and drop them to email.. (well RAW in Aperture, but jpeg in mail)...
02-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll give it a shot. I haven't reverted to aperture 2 yet....

mike
02-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using it for a couple of weeks. A couple of crashes but overall I really like it. Turn off faces, that's what may be slowing down your performance.

02-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Been using it a bit. 3.01 definitely sped things up. I find it faster than 2.14.
02-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From what I've read turning off Faces (as VaughnA suggested) and upgrading to 3.01 helps with some users' performance issues.
03-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yup - agreed. I have Faces turned off, and Aperture 3.01.

However, I think the best thing you can do is add as much RAM as you can afford.

I run both a Macbook Pro 17" with 8Gb RAM, and a nice new iMac 27" with the i7 processor and 16 GB RAM.

Aperture flies on both - the Macbook is really not that much slower than the iMac.

I'm sure it's a RAM thing - the more you have, the less it will be spooling out to disk.

I also have the new Noise Ninja plugins update for 64-bits - works beautifully. Now just waiting for the Nik plugins to be updated.

So far, I'm very happy with Aperture 3. I don't use Faces, so it's turned off (if I want to play with Faces, I simply do that in iPhoto). And I don't use Places either.

03-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a 2.4 GHZ iMac with 4 GB of RAM (all it will take), running Snow Leopard and find the Aperture 3.01 slow enough to be annoying. I have faces and places turned off and I quit most other programs, but still find it slower than I like. Since there's a free 30 trial you can see for yourself.

The program is vastly improved over version 2. More features and larger icons and text make it attractive, but unless you're running a Mac Pro you really have to try it.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
03-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Inactive Account

A ram upgrade helped me. It ran fine with 4GB on my current model 17"MBP 2.8 as long as I wasn't trying to run other large apps like Photoshop. When multi-tasking it slowed down the entire system.

I upgraded to 8GB and now I have no issues with slowness. I was thinking of upgrading the ram anyway so it was no big deal for me.

There is one more thing you can turn off that may speed things up. In preferences, the default in v3 is to update Media Browser all the time instead of updating it when Aperture closes. Changing the default to only update with Aperture closes may help since it won't be doing that in the background while you make edits.
03-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
LMC

Derridale - I'm new to the photography and the forum.

I am trying to decide what software I should purchase to manage and edit my photos...I am a MAC user and upgraded to Aperture 3.01 after I lost functionality when I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Now that I have upgraded I realize that I need a good editing package. I actually thought Aperture was editing software but find it is mostly workflow and an organizational tool.

Long story short I a need to add photo editing software to my suite and was looking for suggestions..

I see you mentioned NIK add-ins, do they provide most of the functionality to Aperture that I would get in one of the Adobe CS4 product? I have been looking at Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium so that I may also do web design.

Any suggestions?
03-08-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LMC Quote

Now that I have upgraded I realize that I need a good editing package. I actually thought Aperture was editing software but find it is mostly workflow and an organizational tool.
What adjustment tools are you looking for that you feel Aperture lacks? With v3 Aperture has a whole host of editing tools between the adjustment brushes and various global sliders etc. Nik pluggins are very powerful and I use them a lot, especially Color Efx & Silver Efx.
03-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
LMC

Honestly I haven't used the tool enough to know what it may lack. I started looking for other products when I tried to create a signature watermark in AP3...My understanding is that I can't. That led to looking at photoshop.

Should AP3 be used as my primary editing tool?
03-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No problems here with a iMac with 2,4 GHz and Intel Core Duo 2 with 4 Gb of memory. Upgraded from Aperture 2 and the last update solved the small bugs. Installing used a lot of memory but with Faces turned off everything went smooth.

And LMC, like Twitch said if you feel the need for more features the Nik pluggins are quite useful. You have to use Aperture in 32bit mode for the time being though until they release the new 64bit pluggins. If I where you I would stick with Aperture at first as your primary editing tool. Explore the features a bit more and if you want more you can alway's revisit your photo's with the new tools you acquired.
03-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

@LMC:

The more I use Aperture, the less I use Photoshop (I have CS3).

Aperture does most of what I need to do with photos, and for the extras, the Aperture plug-in architecture works really well.

Just because I can, I have the Nik package, which includes all the Nik plug-ins for Photoshop, Aperture, and Lightroom all in the one package. And they are very good indeed. I do use most of them, but only when needed. The only one I rarely use is SilverFX, as I don't really "do" black & white stuff.

The Noise Ninja plug-in is outstanding, epecially now that they've upgraded it to 64-bit. It works really well, eg for high-ISO images. Way better than the Aperture noise reduction.

Aperture really does most of what I need - once in a blue moon I'll need to flick out to Photoshop CS3 to do some serious clone-tool removal of something, for example. But unless you really need to do that stuff, you don't really need Photoshop. I haven't got or tried Elements 8 - I gather some people have that set as their external editor.

I should point out that I'm a switcher. I was a PC user, with Lightroom and Photoshop, but actually changed to the Mac world BECAUSE of Aperture. And the more I've used it, the more I have become a Mac convert in total.

I love it
03-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
I just upgraded to Snow Leopard and it was a huge improvement for AP3. I run it on a MBP 2.4mhz core 2duo with only 2GB ram and it runs quite smooth.
But then again, I never found Aperture to be very snappy...