Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Extending a border

I want to create a background out of my photo by extending the right border to fill the 1920 pixel width. I have tried using transform, but that gives me weird artefacts and i have tried creating a pattern which did not work with the resolution i wanted.

So can anyone out there help me? I have both Photoshop and Lightroom

Its this picture i want to extend:

Last edited by maximm; 03-06-2010 at 01:30 AM.
03-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Extend the canvas to the size you want. Set the foreground colour to the sky colur and paint in the sky colour.
Use the patch tool to drag the final colour and texture into the area you've added.
03-07-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Extend the canvas to the size you want. Set the foreground colour to the sky colur and paint in the sky colour.
Use the patch tool to drag the final colour and texture into the area you've added.
The problem is that the sky colour is not exactly one colour and I think this might look unnatural.

I would do this in The GIMP or PSP:

1. Extend the canvas size and position the original image on the copy.

2. Make a rectangler section to cover the whole vertical strip you want.

3. Copy/Clone/Paste the selected stripe to the blank region on the right.

4. Use a Healing tool to smooth the boundary so there is no slight change in colour/brightness at the intersection.

If you shot this in raw and if you have a raw converter with a fine colour corrector, like SilkyPix or Pentax DCU (which use the SilkyPix engine), I'd also consider altering the sky colour. To me, it seems a little too green/not blue enough.

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 03-07-2010 at 01:06 AM.
03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
The problem is that the sky colour is not exactly one colour and I think this might look unnatural.

I would do this in The GIMP or PSP:

1. Extend the canvas size and position the original image on the copy.

2. Make a rectangler section to cover the whole vertical strip you want.

3. Copy/Clone/Paste the selected stripe to the blank region on the right.

4. Use a Healing tool to smooth the boundary so there is no slight change in colour/brightness at the intersection.

If you shot this in raw and if you have a raw converter with a fine colour corrector, like SilkyPix or Pentax DCU (which use the SilkyPix engine), I'd also consider altering the sky colour. To me, it seems a little too green/not blue enough.

Dan
This was why I said use the patch tool to drag the final colour in. That tool works better if there is a similar colour on the canvas already.
It's how I extend studio backgrounds if I need to, so it is a tried method.

03-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most skies actually exhibit a small bit of gradient, as does this. I'd sample the bottom of the existing sky for the background color, the top for the foreground color and use the gradient tool to place the sky in the re-sized background. A simple magic wand or selection brush would select the existing sky. Reverse the selection, feather the edge slightly and delete the existing sky. Much faster than working with brushes. On the sky layer you may want to add the tiniest possible amount of noise in the Noise > Add Noise filter. It won't be visible in even a large print but will keep the sky looking more real.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365