Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Need Scanning Tutorial

Can any of ya'll suggest a book or something where I can learn about scanning film? I've got a significant number of 35mm color transparencies and a like amount of medium format film I shot when I was in Vietnam.
These images are all over 40 years old and fading fast. Accordingly, I'd like to start scanning these and get everything digitized as soon as possible. My first problem is getting another scanner. I've got an "el cheapo" slide scanner, but I've discovered the larger issue is my serious lack of skill with PS.
I'd like to get a book that covers the skills needed to make high quality scans and the skill sets required to do the necessary color correction, dust removal, scratch removal, etc.
I've looked at the local bookstores, but haven't found anything yet that looks like it would help.
Thanks in Advance

03-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

Bob, can't help much with the scanner but as for PS there is a lot of good info on photoshopuser.com. But you need to be a member to access. There have been other threads on scanning here with resolution answers but in general figure the largest you may want to print and multiply it out to get the pixel count.

NAPP/photoshop user is $99/year and you get photoshop user magazine also. They also have a help desk with gurus to answer your questions if you can't find a tutorial to help.

If interested click on the link in my signature.
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I think you can just jump into scanning without much help. I'd say if you want the best results you need to edit each scan in a graphics editor. You can't use ICE with BW so dust and what-not needs fixing in the editor. Sharpening and tone adjustments are best done there too, IMHO.

Getting a decent scanner is a good first step. The manual will have help in it.
03-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I think you can just jump into scanning without much help. I'd say if you want the best results you need to edit each scan in a graphics editor. You can't use ICE with BW so dust and what-not needs fixing in the editor. Sharpening and tone adjustments are best done there too, IMHO.

Getting a decent scanner is a good first step. The manual will have help in it.
+1

Bad scanner --> bad results.

This is one case where the tool is critical for success. Low quality scanners will yield low quality results, even in the best of hands.

Here is a Web site with scanner reviews in both English and German:
Detailed test reports and experience reports about film scanners slide scanners: market overview, application in practice
They cover the most commonly available models and brands, though the names may vary a bit between North America and Europe (e.g. Reflecta = Pacific Image).

Steve

03-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hillerby, I've used this website at times. I found it most useful when I first started scanning slides and negatives:

Scanning Basics 101 - All about digital images
03-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Scanning

QuoteOriginally posted by hillerby Quote
Can any of ya'll suggest a book or something
I've had the same questions, Bob, but finally just dived in hands-on. I have some VN-era stuff I wanted to digitize and to play with MF film again and settled on a re-furb Epson V500, Epson software with PSP X2 & Nik Silver Efex for post processing. I decided if I ever wanted really high-end prints I'd just go for pro lab-scans if the slides and negatives warranted that quality now.

Here's an example of what my OJT process accomplished just using the native software and help files. Searching for "scanner" topics has lead to morsels of useful info, mostly on sharpening and DPI topics.

This image from a 40-year old negative was taken on Corridor Is, Rep. Philippines in 1966. Plus X film processed in D76. Taken with a Pentax H1a and 55/1.8 - probably WAG'ed at 1/125 and F 11. [Note: there were absolutely NO AF or AE issues to contend with back then! ]

Scanned at 4600 DPI to produce a 14.1 MB file then cropped and saved at 96 DPI @ 640x480 for this post. NO other post-processing involved. Histogram is near perfect using the default setting for 'Home' mode. Most of the other negs have a similar outcome. The re-sizing and up/down load process seems to take a toll on IQ here.

Thanks for sharing your VN-era photos and experience with us in this fashion.

H2

Last edited by pacerr; 03-21-2010 at 01:25 PM.
03-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Is 4800dpi overkill for negative scanning? That is what I'm using, too, and it is terribly slow with my V600- although the results are good.

03-26-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Is 4800dpi overkill for negative scanning? That is what I'm using, too, and it is terribly slow with my V600- although the results are good.
Depends. Are you scanning at 100% or enlarging it? Do you intend to print at larger sizes. At work, as I do at home I scan for the largest size I might want to print at. If I print smaller oh well a little disk space. If however I scan for small and eventually want to go larger I;m SOL unless I rescan. If I still have it.
03-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Depends. Are you scanning at 100% or enlarging it? Do you intend to print at larger sizes. At work, as I do at home I scan for the largest size I might want to print at. If I print smaller oh well a little disk space. If however I scan for small and eventually want to go larger I;m SOL unless I rescan. If I still have it.
Hmm. So, at what dpi does a scan exceed the actual grain of the film? Is there a chart somewhere for different films?