Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Saturation mask...

Restore Those Clipped Channels

I was attempting to follow this tutorial and I have the image and it saturation mask (as its layer mask). I'm completely lost on the second part of the tutorial; no details on means to achieve the end. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

03-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I posted that link the other day, but I must admit I've never tried the technique. Most of the tutorials at LL generate some discussion at the LL Forum, so If you do a search there it might help you out.
Luminous Landscape Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)
03-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This LL tutorial is badly broken / doesn't work as advertised.

The stated instructions result in only an extremely poor approximation of a saturation mask. That said it's still useful. (Interestingly, the resultant sat mask shown in the LL tut looks much closer to the real deal than you can get from the instructions. There's something fundamental missing from the tutorial instructions. I'm not sure what.)

Once you have the "sat" mask, use it as follows (actually explained ok in LL IMO):
Create a Hue/Sat adj layer. Fill the Hue/Sat mask with the "sat mask" content. Now select 'yellow' for colors affected and set the slider values to +5 / -25 / +15 as instructed in the article. This makes the Hue/Sat layer have more affect on more highly saturated yellows and less affect on low saturated yellows. (Remember the PS mask mantra: 'white reveals & black conceals' - and an ideal saturation will range from pure white at 100% saturated pixels to pure black for completely unsaturated pixels. The LL sat mask is still at least somewhat effective in this regard.)

If you want to learn about real saturation masking, go here:
techslop

It will likely be hard to find what you are looking for, but you will learn a TON along the way. If you insist on just the answer, look for the "Saturation in and out" tutorial (same author) on the retouchpro.com forums.

Happy PP