Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aperture 3 and PEF

I just downloaded the aperture 3 trial (currently have no other photo software). I may but missing something basicand have done a few searches, but how do i get my .pef files into aperture? I just got back from holidays and have thousands of photos all in pef. When i try to import, i can see the thumbnails so it can obviously read the file, but when its imported in i get 'unsupported image format'. Should i convert them into dng within the pentax camera utility and then import them into aperture or is there an easier way?

I also foolishly left home without my cleaning kit and there are some shots i want to keep that have 3 quite noticeable dust spots (found a shop and bought cleaning supplies after). What is the best program to use to edit it out? Will aperture and an add on do it or will it need to be done in photoshop?

03-16-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you don't have the latest version of Aperture (3.01). I don't know what camera you have but the K-X and K-7 are supported now. The complete list is here: Apple - Aperture - Technical Specifications - RAW Support. Perhaps you can update your trial of Aperture. Another solution could be to download the trial again. If that doesn't do the trick perhaps the answer can be found here: Apple - Support - Discussions - Aperture

And Aperture has tools to remove dust spots from photo's.
03-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As Fries says the K-x and K-7 were added to the latest RAW Compatibility update.

Apple - Downloads - Application Updates - Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 3.1
03-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the replys . The trial is 3.0.1 i downloaded it this afternoon, and i have a k-7.
I ended up converting them in the pentax utility to dng it is currently up to 2500 of about 6000... should be done when i get up int the morning
thanks for the links, sadly i didn't even think of the apple forums when i was looking before.