Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like HDR effects but are neither deeply into the process or the price, I recommend giving the ReDynamix plugin a try. For under $20 this plugin will reprocess a shot with a range from mild (my preference) to wild, and the sliders are clear and simple. I do not enjoy the overcooked look of strong HDR so it's important that I can tune it closer to one than to eleven. I use it with Elements 9 and it's a seamless additional filter.

This is from the same company as baldrick mentions above..
http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 05-08-2012 at 09:48 PM.
05-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
Den
Veteran Member

I prefer Oloneo PhotoEngine for multi exposure HDR
05-16-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is interesting how different people have different favorite HDR programs. I have tried pretty much all of them, and keep coming back to Fhotoroom HDR (formerly Artizen HDR). I just like its powerful merging capabilities along with one single powerful tonemapper that can adjust images from natural looking to dramatic. I just hope they come out with a windows 64 bit version for better memory use.
05-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I've tried nearly every Windows or Mac HDR merger, blender and tonemapper, from command-line to realtime, from freeware to in-camera (even did a comparative study of commercial and experimental tonemappers for Autodesk), and through it all I've stuck with Photomatix for almost 8 years now.

[Wow, I just realized that's a long time for HDR software use! Prior to that (circa 2001) I used Greg Ward's Photosphere or "mkhdr" on the command line]

I've never been one to "cook" HDR files when tonemapping them, and I've fought a long and arduous battle against what I see as "undesirable artifacts" from the process (halos, clipping, noise, bad color management), so aside from my un-tonemapped HDR file output, I find image fusion (no HDR intermediary) to be the best for my own needs, which I'm glad Photomatix also offers. Not to mention all the refinements in Photomatix like batch processing, EXIF preservation, XMP files to store each image's settings, (a start at) color management, and even the cute little "Photomatix Essentials" program to get other people hooked on it.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-16-2012 at 04:26 PM.