Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which HDR software is best?

I know a lot of people of use Photomatix Pro, and I'm tempted but wanted to know if anyone had any experience of creating HDR images within Photoshop elements 8? Only reason I ask is that elements 8 is cheaper so thinking of upgrading my version (6)

Cheers

03-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I use Photomatix Pro. I like it much better than the HDR in Photoshop CS3. What I'd really like to try though is HDR Photostudio. Unfortunately it won't work on my old G4 Mac.
There's a free 30 day trial version here:
HDR PhotoStudio: HDR photo software, HDR merge & editing, BEF plug-in, realistic HDR imaging
03-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Is the process/tools the same in PS CS3 as they are in Elements 8?

Not looked at HDR PhotoStudio before, looks interesting but pricey...
03-19-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no idea which is best. Everyone seems to point to Photomatix, but I found easyHDR to be very suitable for HDR, and also for quick LDR (low dynamic range enhancement) "fixing" of photos with slightly too much exposure difference.

I would like to see replies to this question from people who have experimented with several HDR programs.

03-21-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah had a look at easyHDR but it does not run on a mac - although from the flickr group images I've seen the results look a little too artificial for my tastes - I prefer the idea of using hdr to try to get closer to what the human eye sees
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
Forum Member

Ok, KevinR I have had a play with Photomatix Pro, Artizen and Dynamic Photo. It would be impossible to say which is "best" as everyone has their own ideas.
For my money (and it is the cheapest of the three) I would recommend
MediaChance Dynamic photo. I like the interface and the results it produces.
It can also produce what it calls a "pseudo HDR" from one jpeg, tiff or RAW file and the results are surprisingly good, if you use the slider controls to tone down the intensity you can produce a realistic looking HDR photo.
Simmo
03-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Nice one Simmo - I've just downloaded the free trial of Dynamic photo so will give it a go. Seems very reasonable price....

03-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by GadgetFan Quote
Nice one Simmo - I've just downloaded the free trial of Dynamic photo so will give it a go. Seems very reasonable price....
Please provide a post telling us how you like/dislike it. I'm interested in hearing more before making a decision.
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
Forum Member

The single image "pseudo HDR" I mentioned is useful for moving objects, it`s very hard to take a series of 3, 5, or 7 photos of an aeroplane in flight for instance. This photo of the HARS PBY6A "Black Cat" shows its advantage. This aircraft is usually very hard to get a good shot of in the air, it usually comes out as a black blob without any detail.

Simmo
03-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #10

You might want to give LuminanceHDR a shot. It's open source so at least the price is right.

Luminance HDR - Home
03-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right I have downloaded both Luminance HDR and Dynamic Photo and will play around with them over the next couple of weeks and let you know my thoughts. Had a quick play with Dyanmic Photo doing a quick HDR off a single jpeg and as suspected, not worth using.

baldrick - I beleive if you shoot raw and use photoshop you can create a similar HDR effect with a single shot: YouTube - HDR imaging in Photoshop Elements 6
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GadgetFan Quote
anyone had any experience of creating HDR images within Photoshop elements 8?
I played with a couple of HDR programs.

But for the bulk of my work, I just create a non tone-mapped 16 Bit Tiff from an HDR bracketed shot using a tool like PhotoMatix, PhotoAcute or PS and reimport into LR. Its fill light, highlight recovery and clarity sliders do ok for me (along the ordinary exposure/contrast/level controls) and keep the HDR effect under control.

I've yet to find an HDR-only program which behaves predictable enough for me. The CS3/CS4 tone mapper (the one with the level tool) is regarded best by some.
05-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Anyone try the NIK HDR?

Or are the ones mentioned in the thread better choices?

And any updates as to newcomers in the HDR field since this thread ran?

Thanks
05-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Anyone try the NIK HDR?
I have along with a pile of others. I found it to be quite good. The user interface is exceptionally fine. The algorithms usually provide excellent results, I felt it handled whites in skies better then Photomatix. I was unable to get it to do the Photomatix look which I like. My preference varied depending on the source image. Ultimately I decided I wanted both Photomatix and Nik's HDR EFX. For one, mostly forgotten reason or another, none of the rest floated my boat.

They have a fully functional trial. Did I mention NIK's interface rocks!
05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use LRenfuse for realistic looking HDR. It's easy and cheap. Comparisons I've seen claim a small IQ advantage over tonemapped images.