Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Great way to share photos

Not sure where to post this, but this seemed like the most logical place.

Anyhow, when I process photos, I sometimes use my desktop PC, sometimes my laptop, and every so often, I'll do some at work. Then my wife wants me to send her some for her to put on facebook, etc. So I had been using Dropbox to sync files between work and home, but I never thought of it for photos, but it's perfect.

If you're not familiar with Dropbox, you install it on two or more PCs, and anything you put into your Dropbox folder ("%userprofile%\My Documents\My Dropbox" by default) instantly syncs to all your other PCs as well as the Dropbox server. 2GB is free! Windows, Mac and Linux!

So here's what I do: When I pull the photos off the card, I pick out a few to process and throw them in my Dropbox folder. Then, when I'm on my laptop, or at work the next day, I can open them up and do what I need to. And there's no slowness, because I'm actually reading the files from the local drive. Then I save the edits back to the same folder, and the updated photos automatically sync everywhere.

ALSO, I set my wife up an account and installed it on her laptop, then I SHARED my photos directory with her, so anything I put in there syncs over to her laptop as well! At which point she can post to fb or whatever.

All of that is pretty awesome. But THEN, I found out that it also does automatic galleries! So just by saving photos in a folder, you have them synced across PCs and available on the web.

For example, some of my wife's cakes:

Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.

I did a search, and someone posted about Dropbox six months ago, but that post didn't make it sound very compelling... so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Plus, the affiliate link above gives us both a little extra storage. Though, honestly, I never come close to my 2GB. I only really use it for short-term storage.