Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How to do portrait touch up & make photo look like this ?

Sorry, if this is a basic question but look at this photo:
Honey on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

There is probably a softbox used but then her facial skin almost looks a bit like soft silicone or non-shiny rubber/plastic.

Also, her eyes are crystal sharp but her iris has some sort of glow in them. Look through some other photos and you'll come to know.

What kind of post processing seems to be used here ? Any idea ?

The photo has been added to PSDTUTS pool, so I suspect there maybe a tutorial on psdtuts ... will have to try hunting for that.

-sbw

03-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks quite artificial (not my favoured result for portraiture) but indeed there is a complementary play between soft lighting and lots of makeup to create the smoothness of skin and colour tones. No doubt, there's a decent amount of PP implemented, particularly on her eyes, but also retouching on her skin.

Few portraits are great coming straight out of the camera.
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It almost looks like she's a fully rendered CGI character, even after looking at the full crop.
03-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Definitely looks like a heavy PS filter or two were applied. Had the photographer gone further, it would definitely look plastic/CG.

The nearly pure white of her eyeballs is pretty disturbing

That said, I can tell you the focus was on the left eye. Much sharper than the right.

03-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Whatever they did, it was a bit heavy-handed imo. It's like plastic surgery. Not my own style, but others like it.

In Lightroom, sliding the Clarity slider to the left (negative values) helps smooth out skin. It's essentially a local contrast control. That's the start of the process at lest.
03-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

professional makeup, professional lighting and one of those super duper plugins with a heavy hand!

cheers
Jan
03-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Or you could simply use Portrait Professional, and push everything to the extremes.

Portrait Pro is a great program, and can give beautiful and subtle effects. But you can carry it to the n-th degree if you want to get that CGI/plastic look.

Have a look at:

Portrait Professional - Enhance your photos using the best airbrushing and photo editing software

And there is a separate Flickr group dedicated to the program, where you can see how it should be done and get lots of good info.

Flickr: Portrait Professional User Group

As you'd expect from this post, I have and use Portrait Pro Studio, but I do try to keep it subtle. That look in the link you posted is not to my taste, but can certainly be achieved in Portrait Pro if that flicks your switch...

03-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A great resource to learn about retouching tools and techniques (from gentle to far-over-the-top):

RetouchPRO.com
03-21-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am after that overdone look. Thank you all! Will try the suggestions.
03-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shadowbecomeswhite Quote
I am after that overdone look.
So are many older Hollywood stars

What software are you using right now?
03-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

Well, you also need a pretty lady with very good skin - that's for sure