Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

so whats the secret........?

to getting the dang photo paper to feed through the printer?
I bought nice quality HEAVY paper to make marketing postcards..........but the bloomin' stuff wont feed.
So I bought cheaper LIGHTer stuff and it wont feed either!

Both printers HP.........a cheapy and a good A3 one ..........neither will feed either paper though.........

$%%$##%^&*(

any hints or tips ??

cheers
Jan

03-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ricstew Quote
to getting the dang photo paper to feed through the printer?
I bought nice quality HEAVY paper to make marketing postcards..........but the bloomin' stuff wont feed.
So I bought cheaper LIGHTer stuff and it wont feed either!

Both printers HP.........a cheapy and a good A3 one ..........neither will feed either paper though.........

$%%$##%^&*(

any hints or tips ??

cheers
Jan
What is the model of the printer? Do you have a manual? If not, there will likely be support online.

On my Canon, it is a matter of throwing a switch which allows it to use thicker papers...

Perhaps your printers have the same feature... it is common and is used for thick paper and envelopes.

So for example...

How to Load Envelopes, Labels, and Thick Paper HP Deskjet 200cci Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Which leads me inexorably to... RTM.

woof!
03-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You also have to look at the printer driver. Many printers have a setting for paper type, which in turn will let the printer know how to behave.
03-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If the printer takes photo paper from a tray at the bottom front, good luck. I had two HP printers that loaded photo paper that way, and neither would take paper after a few months. Rear-loading is much more foolproof, it seems.

03-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Phooey.......A3printer doesnt work on vista ( there are no drivers for Vista...another good reason to ditch vista)

the little hp just doesnt seem to like thick paper. I have flicked the switch ( or at least set the preferences ) but no joy.........it gets to the roller and has a hissy fit.

Neither of them are new but hey did I really want yet another bloomin printer to add to the collection?
Thanks guys
Jan
03-22-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Some printers weren't designed for heavy papers like photo papers. Just check the manual and see what's the heaviest/thickest papers it accept. The rubber rollers of old printers might dry up and won't feed too.
03-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Printer rollers tend to get slippery after a while and require cleaning or replacing. This is a common cause for paper jams and misfeeds. If your printers are old and have seen their share of reams of paper, it might just be they need proper maintenance or cleaning.

As far as blaming Vista, if the printer is so old it will not work with Vista, then perhaps that would speak to the age of the printer and the definite need for proper maintenance. My HP 1100 from circa 2000-2001 is still cranking out pages and works just fine on Vista and Windows 7.

03-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Both printers HP.........
Jan
'nuff said. I have had more trouble getting HP printers to function properly (due to both hardware and software issues) than any mechanical devices of any kind that I have ever used.
03-26-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well I have learned the same.........they are a pain in bum.......wont print with this or that.......paper wont feed ...cant configure the silly things either.......I am off to kmart printing services......... I am sure they can do better than this...
Jan
03-26-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

well I have learned the same.........they are a pain in bum.......wont print with this or that.......paper wont feed ...cant configure the silly things either.......I am off to kmart printing services......... I am sure they can do better than this...
Jan
I have a not so cheap HP Photosmart B9180, which prints very nicely, even on very thick paper. BUT not out of the paper magazine. I have to use the manual feed all the time, even for lightweight papers, independent of size.

Ben
03-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

HP makes great printers - but paper handling is not their strong suit ....
03-30-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My HP printers are feeding very well. I clean the feed rollers once in a while, and I have no problems. As for the drivers for Vista, you can download them from the HP site.