Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Does Adobe go around the OS somehow? Why does the platform matter as long as the OS is an OSX version?
Apple has several API's for creating apps. Carbon, Cocoa, Java, POSIX, and X11. Photoshop has been a Carbon app since version 7. Apple has depreciated Carbon, meaning no 64-bit support. Adobe has rewritten PS as a 64-bit Cocoa app and at the same time decided to drop support for PPC, the rational being that if you haven't upgraded your workstation in 4 years you're not going to upgrade your software either. And keep in mind that 4 year old G5 benchmarks about the same as a $600 Mac mini.

Adobe CS5 on Mac to be Intel-only, Cocoa, 64-bit native | Adobe CS5

They also announced that Flash 10.1 will drop PPC support.

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-29-2010 at 07:47 PM.
04-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #32

Great stuff; finally software to change my life!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #33
graphicgr8s

So did anyone watch the webcast?
Besides me?
04-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I've often been berated for using a Mac by some of my more diehard PC owning friends because they claim they can spec out a higher performance PC for cheaper.
Of course they can. I built an 8 core system for exactly half of what a similar Mac would have cost me. While splurging on top-end components with no compromise.

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Of course, the Mac is more stable, but I've learned not to bring up that particular point with then. Makes them apoplectic.
Doesn't make me apoplectic. I just know it isn't true and move on. I've had exactly one blue screen so far this year and a game was to blame. Macs crash too, y'know?

But back on topic: Photoshop hasn't added any must-have features for about 10 years (seems like). But they keep adding lots of incremental improvements. If only they charged something reasonable for their product and its upgrades, people might bother.

This time we have HDR, lens correction, noise reduction and other features third-party programmes already provide. Plus that Content Aware Fill, which looks absolutely incredible, at least in the demos.

04-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Besides me?
I watched it...but nothing I saw would compel me to pony up $600-800 for an upgrade from CS4. Sure...slick features, but some things are just left to a little hard work. Their demo of moving the horse with the "improved" masking tool wasn't really that spectacular. Like cameras, this might be one of those versions to skip.
04-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
All Im sayin' is that it better be a Cocoa app on the Mac.
I don't know. However, it is 64 bit native and can use the GPU too. It will be much faster on any Mac with a dedicated graphics card.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
04-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Besides me?
Absolutely. Content aware fill is magic. I want it. I want it. I want it. If you weren't impressed with the demo, then you don't do either much detailed masking or removing unwanted elements from your photos. This will save me untold hours.

Much better speed. Much easier selections. Lots of interface tweaks suggested by users. Better HDR processing. Best upgrade in years. I bow down before the Adobe engineers.

I called Adobe today and they will let me downgrade my CS3 Web Design Suite to a plain Photoshop license. Now that I've retired I don't need Dreamweaver, Illustrator or Flash. If you are only looking at the updates in Photoshop and not the rest of the CS suite, you might look to to the same thing. a $200 upgrade isn't as hard to swallow.

michael mckee

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 04-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.
04-13-2010, 07:13 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I don't know. However, it is 64 bit native and can use the GPU too. It will be much faster on any Mac with a dedicated graphics card.

michael mckee
Photoshop does have some GPU acceleration but it does not use OpenCL. It uses OpenGL for panning, zooming, and canvas rotation. The Extended version also requires OpenGL for Repousse.

Premier uses CUDA. None of the apps use OpenCL. Adobe claims OpenCL is too new, it's only been around for 18 months after all. And you can't just expect Adobe to adopt a new technology. It only took them 5 years to move to Cocoa.

To sum up, CS5 has basically the same hardware acceleration as CS4.
04-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
a $200 upgrade isn't as hard to swallow.
It is for me! That much for an upgrade?! When entire excellent programmes are free?
04-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #40
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It is for me! That much for an upgrade?! When entire excellent programmes are free?
You get what you pay for. Especially if you do it for a living. I don't think I could ever go back to the "free" programs again. Too many features I'd miss. Well, that and the fact that most of the free/cheap stuff won't do in a commercial shop.
04-14-2010, 11:14 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And just as many if not more switch from Window$ to Mac. Also, keep in mind Apple is not targeting the cheapskate market. They are targeting the high end high margin market. They own 90% of the market in laptops over $1,000 and are quite happy to let Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer etc own the low end no margin market. In fact I just spec'd out a Quad core Zeon workstation from Dell and it was more than $1,000 more than a Quad core Mac Pro.
When I was recently in my local Apple Store, I was told by one of the staff that they sell more computers to people switching from PCs than they do to people upgrading from older Macs.

Rob
04-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best explanation of Adobe vs Apple i've seen.

Chronicles of Conflict: the History of Adobe vs. Apple — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Awesome read. Thanks!
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #44
Veteran Member

And just as many if not more switch from Window$ to Mac. Also, keep in mind Apple is not targeting the cheapskate market. They are targeting the high end high margin market. They own 90% of the market in laptops over $1,000 and are quite happy to let Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer etc own the low end no margin market. In fact I just spec'd out a Quad core Zeon workstation from Dell and it was more than $1,000 more than a Quad core Mac Pro.
I don't know where you got this information, but it is very far from true.

Apple has about 90% of the "premium" PC (desktops + laptops) market $$$ in the retail consumer space. In other words, computers bought at Best Buy, Walmart, etc. This is not even measured # of units. For example, if a Mac is sold at $1500 and a PC is sold at $1001, it's considered a "win" for Apple this particular sales metric.

Missing from all this is the millions of folks who either build their own PCs, purchase PC's from white-box builders, or go to sites like Dell.com and order one.

I'm not on any side of the Mac-vs-PC debate, but I figured I'd set the record straight.
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Tedious and biased.

However, it would be nice if Flash died. It sucks.