03-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #1

Adobe Photoshop CS5 near

Just announced:

Adobe Creative Suite 5 Launch

03-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I figured it wouldn't be long, they've been doing beta testing for a while now. I knew about that but don't have the time (or the knowledge) to properly do it.

The features would have to be really compelling for me to upgrade this time - I usually skip a version or two before upgrading. I'm really happy with CS4.
03-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

yeah the only reason i use photoshop is for cloning or whatever I can't do in Lightroom. Lightroom even has spot removal so....

CS3 is still good for me.
03-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
has anyone used it for video editing? Is it worth while? Any beta tests here?

03-23-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am looking forward to this. I hope my school gets it before the semester is over so I can play with it before I spend the money upgrading.
03-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I feel like CS4 was just released yesterday...
03-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
graphicgr8s

Yeah there may or may not be beta testers here. But they make you sign an NDA.

Funny thing they're advertising for release yet I hear that they are not even in public beta yet. That builds are still being tested for bugs. Well that's what I heard anyway.

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 03-24-2010 at 07:40 AM.
03-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if this is the version where we'll see that content-aware fill feature...
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I wonder if this is the version where we'll see that content-aware fill feature...
Yes it is. I just watched a video about it!
Here - Another video on the upcoming Adobe’s “content-aware fill” | Photo Rumors
03-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder if it is true that CS5 won't support the older G5 Macs, only the Intel Macs?
03-25-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I wonder if it is true that CS5 won't support the older G5 Macs, only the Intel Macs?
Why exactly would Adobe continue to support a dead platform. Apple hasn't produced a PPC Mac for 4 years. Mac OS X 10.6 is Intel only. Adobe had to completely rewrite all of the apps in the suite to support 64-bit Intel so why would they bother with PPC?
03-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
yeah the only reason i use photoshop is for cloning or whatever I can't do in Lightroom. Lightroom even has spot removal so....

CS3 is still good for me.
But can it magically alter all your photos with minimal input like CS5?
03-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why exactly would Adobe continue to support a dead platform. Apple hasn't produced a PPC Mac for 4 years. Mac OS X 10.6 is Intel only. Adobe had to completely rewrite all of the apps in the suite to support 64-bit Intel so why would they bother with PPC?
The answer would depend on how many photoshop users still use PPC macs. That $199 upgrade suddenly turns into quite a bit more if you need to get a new computer as well.
03-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
The answer would depend on how many photoshop users still use PPC macs. That $199 upgrade suddenly turns into quite a bit more if you need to get a new computer as well.
It's not a matter of how many potential upgrade customers are still using PPC. PPC is a dead platform, it's been dead for 4 years. Thirteen years ago Adobe upended Apple's original OS X plans when they told Apple that they were not going to rewrite Photoshop. Apple responded by creating Carbon to make porting legacy apps easier for both Adobe and Micro$oft. When Apple decided that they weren't going to support 64-bit for Carbon Adobe was finally forced to rewrite Photoshop. Since they are giving up their legacy code Adobe, like Apple, has decided it is not worth the effort to continue supporting PPC. The installed base of Intel Macs is far larger then the installed base of PPC Macs ever was and since no new PPC Macs have been made in 4 years the base of PPC Macs will only get smaller.
03-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's not a matter of how many potential upgrade customers are still using PPC. PPC is a dead platform, it's been dead for 4 years. Thirteen years ago Adobe upended Apple's original OS X plans when they told Apple that they were not going to rewrite Photoshop. Apple responded by creating Carbon to make porting legacy apps easier for both Adobe and Micro$oft. When Apple decided that they weren't going to support 64-bit for Carbon Adobe was finally forced to rewrite Photoshop. Since they are giving up their legacy code Adobe, like Apple, has decided it is not worth the effort to continue supporting PPC. The installed base of Intel Macs is far larger then the installed base of PPC Macs ever was and since no new PPC Macs have been made in 4 years the base of PPC Macs will only get smaller.
Then I would think that quite a few PPC owners would get a PC for the lower upgrade costs.