Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

[langtitle=sv]ufraw ubuntu red is green[/langtitle]

Dear All!
I recently bought a K-X and started to use it. I want to be able to import pef raw files to improve quality of my pictures. I am using GIMP 2.6 with a plugin gimp-ufraw under ubuntu karmic koala.

The problem is that the color profile is somehow upset, so that red becomes green. Is there something that can be done to correct this problem. Jpegs works fine and the camera is set to save files as raw+.

Best regards and thanks for any comment/kjell

03-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Forum Member

The easiest way is to change your camera settings from pef to dng.

the gimp plugin does not handle pef properly.

For the once you already have in pef formate, you can run DNGConverter_5_6.exe from adobe in wine and convert the pef to dng.

It works fine on my wine in linux.

Last edited by davidvandoren; 03-25-2010 at 09:33 AM.
03-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The version of UFraw included with Ubuntu (I think it's 0.16) does not support the K-7 and K-x PEF files. You need a newer version. 0.17 supports both fine. As mentioned above, shooting in DNG fixes the probem altogether since even old versions of UFraw support DNG files fully.
03-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can download the latest ufraw and compile it yourself.

03-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
Or just wait a month for Ubuntu 10.04 to be released. Hopefully the newer version of UFraw will be included.

I hate compiling stuff, especially on Ubuntu. All the supporting packages always end up being too old and they need to be upgraded before compilation is successful.
03-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I prefer rawtherapee anyway. Much easier to upgrade.
03-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I prefer rawtherapee anyway. Much easier to upgrade.
Really? I have no trouble upgrading UFraw on a whim. I just don't use Ubuntu and everything works fine.

03-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have latest versions of both. Neither is perfect. I get jagged edges from rawtherapee and gimp doesn't read the exifs from the tiffs it exports. The noise reduction is excellent. Ufraw on the other hand doesn't do batch processing and for some reason I have to add a lot of saturation to get the same results I get from rawtherapee (default of quite unsaturated), but no jagged edges.

I only experience these problems with Nikon raw images. Rawtherapee was my choice with Pentax.
03-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have latest versions of both. Neither is perfect. I get jagged edges from rawtherapee and gimp doesn't read the exifs from the tiffs it exports.
You realize of course that Gimp does not support EXIF tags in TIF files, right? It has nothing to do with rawtherapee.

Ufraw on the other hand doesn't do batch processing
Sure it does, I do it all the time. It's called ufraw-batch.

and for some reason I have to add a lot of saturation to get the same results I get from rawtherapee (default of quite unsaturated), but no jagged edges.
This has more to do with the linearity than saturation. The default linearity of UFraw is subtle. Try increasing the exposure by +1 EV and then increase the linearity slider from 0.100 to 0.300, you'll see some very nice differences.
03-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
You realize of course that Gimp does not support EXIF tags in TIF files, right? It has nothing to do with rawtherapee.
Yes, I know. Looks like the progress with gimp here is quite slow.

QuoteQuote:
Sure it does, I do it all the time. It's called ufraw-batch.
That I didn't know. I'll try it out.

QuoteQuote:
This has more to do with the linearity than saturation. The default linearity of UFraw is subtle. Try increasing the exposure by +1 EV and then increase the linearity slider from 0.100 to 0.300, you'll see some very nice differences.
I'll try this as well.
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That I didn't know. I'll try it out.
Read the man page for ufraw It mentions ufraw-batch near the top. But I agree that it is easily overlooked.
03-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There's probably a PPA that lets you get the latest and greatest w/o compiling it yourself.

I might even be using it on my systems at home... need to check...
03-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #13

Original Poster
[langtitle=sv]Ufraw Rawstudio[/langtitle]

As suggested by David I switched saving images in dng format and that resolved the problem. I have also downloaded 0.16 version of Ufraw but the problem still occurs. Rawstudio has icon preview which I think is very good, although, a strange thing is that pef files icons are viewed correctly red is red and so forth, but the image itself has inverted colors or whatever it is. Red is blue or green...

In another forum, it is said that Ufraw 0.16 and 0.17 works fine on Pentax K-7 cameras. I have not found any report on its functionality on K-X.
Regards/kjell
03-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjells Quote
As suggested by David I switched saving images in dng format and that resolved the problem. I have also downloaded 0.16 version of Ufraw but the problem still occurs. Rawstudio has icon preview which I think is very good, although, a strange thing is that pef files icons are viewed correctly red is red and so forth, but the image itself has inverted colors or whatever it is. Red is blue or green...

In another forum, it is said that Ufraw 0.16 and 0.17 works fine on Pentax K-7 cameras. I have not found any report on its functionality on K-X.
Regards/kjell
0.16 works fine with my K-7. 0.17 isn't technically out yet.
03-31-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

OT:

Why don't the creators just compile these to an .exe file?