Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Website Redesign

I redesigned my website last weekend, and would like some input. Right now, the function is primarily for sharing with friends and family, but eventually it could be altered slightly for business.

www.djsphotography.host22.com

What do you think?

03-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Flash.
Ick.
03-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Was that regarding my specific flash on the home page, or flash in general?

Thanks for looking!
03-26-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I redesigned my website last weekend, and would like some input. What do you think?
I found it a good beginning. I did find the picture sequence on the homepage distracting, I would dump it. Also, the slide show seems to load slow (even with broadband). This could be a problem for those without a high speed connection.

I like the overall look and feel. I really enjoyed your SWAT training action shots.

03-28-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is taking those images so long to load? Are they high res? If they are, you don't need them and they seriously degrade site performance. I'm on a 2.5Mb/sec connection and it took 6 - 8 seconds to load every image.

If it's because of the flash I'd dump it and go to something with a fast XHTML/CSS interface. Flash does cool things, but in my opinion it's better used for ornaments than it is for an entire site.

Just my two cents.
03-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, I just read my response, and it sounds a bit harsh. I wouldn't change the sentiment but i could have been nicer when I said it.

I should also say I do like the dark color scheme. I think the images show up better on sites with darker backgrounds.
03-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No worries, Greg! I'm not easily offended. If I didn't want honest opinions, I wouldn't have asked for them. I'm using jalbum to create the photo albums, and there's some very easy tools to reconfigure the album with only a few clicks. I think I'll lower the resolution and quality of the page images to make the site a more zippy.

I am using CSS sheets and may have to revisit how my albums are laid out in the long run. Anyone have any suggestions as to an easily incorporateable photo album software that diesn't use flash?
03-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Flash.
Ick.
Yep. As soon as I saw that your gallery was flash-based and that you were using a trial version of whatever gallery that was I just closed out.

04-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All right... the galleries are fully redesigned. More opinions?
04-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have some nice images there, but they are loading very slowly. I'm not sure whether it's your file sizes or your hosting provider. I've never heard of host22, so I cannot judge.

There's nothing wrong with flash galleries as long as it works and doesn't interfere with the intent of the website or gallery.

If you're doing this for customers, make sure you think simplicity and function. Fancy only goes so far if they can't get images to show or they can't navigate to their galleries.
04-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I think it looks too dark on the main page, then blasts a second of bright white as it transitions to the galleries - an assault on the pupils.

The text on the home page sounds too passive:
"If you think that I might be able to help..." should be "I can help..."
"Feel free to check out" should be "Please look at/check out/view..."

The big "View my galleries" should just be a bigger and more graphic "Galleries".

And the fonts are...eh. The last line is too small.

There are no "back" buttons, and vague navigation features. I had to close your page because I eventually got the turtle directory listing with nowhere to go.

Sorry.