Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Need some HDR/Photomatrix help..images included

I took this shot today ISO 400, F8, -/+ 2 EV...3 shot sequence on a tripod.

This is happening to me using photomatrix...can't figure out if it's the exposure of the photos or settings within the program. Can someone help me adjust this or let me know if it's probably my exposures?

100% Crop

Resized image

04-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #2

I've had that problem as well - Photomatix is a challenging software to learn - it takes a lot of practice and trial by error to get an image right. It appears that sometimes it can't deal with tricky shadow areas so that's why you get that grainy effect. What I sometimes do to correct that is process an image as I like it, then process it again but this time bringing the settings way down so that the tricky shadow areas look right and then simply blend the corrected shadow into my first image using a mask in photoshop.
04-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect that when photomatics processes the multiple photos it gets mixed up by noise in the shadows. Since the noise won't have the linear (my term) changes in exposure that the rest of the photo contains it gets mixed up. I've seen it in some of my photos and it shows more in high ISO situations.

Of course this is just my theory, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last year...