Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blast from the past: Kodak Tri-Chem Pack

I found this on eBay:

Kodak discontinued them years ago. Anyone else remember these?

Chris

04-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

Sure do.

04-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I scoffed at them when I was young and printing several times a week.
Now I wish I could buy them for the occasional small batch of prints!

Chris
04-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
graphicgr8s

Ever formulate your own developers?

04-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have seen the powdered raw chemicals for sale at B&H, but I'm not motivated enough for that.
I like HC110 and Rodinal. Is there a concentrated liquid paper developer with a long shelf life?

Chris
04-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have seen the powdered raw chemicals for sale at B&H, but I'm not motivated enough for that.
I like HC110 and Rodinal. Is there a concentrated liquid paper developer with a long shelf life?

Chris
I've really always just used Dektol, (which has always seemed reasonably-tough in undiluted form, anyway) but at least there are some concentrate-based paper developers at Freestyle. 'Silvergrain' is making some more eco-friendly stuff I've been very interested in as well, but haven't tried yet cause of hangups with getting my print darkroom operating.
04-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kodak Polymax T and Ilford Multigrade paper developers are commonly used ~1:9 dilution.
Are there any popular brands considerably more concentrated than that?

TIA,
Chris
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I remember them, though I don't remember ever using them. I always used Microdol for developer and it has been too many years to remember the fixer I used. It may have been Agfa. No stop bath, just drain the developer and add the fixer, then down the drain. One use only.

04-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Indeed I do.

I wish I could get them now.
I would go back to processing my own photos.

Mickey
04-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Have not heard that name in nearly 40 years!
04-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #11

Yes, I remember them from a very long time ago indeed. While Dektol and Ilford paper developers are pretty bullet proof, you really should consider mixing your own at least once for the following reasons: you can make very good developers that no longer exist, such as Ansco 120 and 130; you have the gratification of having mixed your own; you no longer need to worry about your favorite developer becoming hard to get. And it's fun to watch the image come up in the developer you mixed yourself. An old Photo Lab Index and you're in business with more formulas than you will ever need. You may enjoy it so much that you migrate over to the historic processes, such as palladium, cyanotype or van dyke. That said, Dektol was one of the most consistent developers with a good shelf life. Thanks for sharing your find, it was fun to see that package again.
04-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

fstop.

I have made Cyanotype aka Ferro-Prussiate aka Blueprint paper. from Potassium ferricyanide and ferric ammonium citrate.

The developer for that is very easy - just plain water.

Mickey
04-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #13

Absolutely, Mickeyobe, cyanotype developer is definitely simple to mix! Interestingly, several other processes also use plain water to develop with, such as carbon printing and gum bichromate.

My point though, was that mixing one's own developer for darkroom use with film and/or paper isn't difficult if a scale and chemicals are available and that one might be intrigued enough to go off on a tangent with the historic processes. Thanks for your comment.

Last edited by fstop; 04-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.
04-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
rodinal is actually pretty easy to formulate yourself as well (and since it's harder and harder to find it's easier to DIY as well )

I tried a caffenol recipe worked ok but the brown negs threw me a bit

In school eons back I did a bunch of archival processes as part of a fine art course

been thinking about doing bromoils again but they are a lot of work
04-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #15

You have an interesting background, Eddie. If you decide to try Bromoil again and are looking for more supplies you might want to look up David Lewis on the Internet. He's also a Canadian, has supplies made to his specs and also gives workshops -and he's a nice guy!