Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I'm not seeing the green here.

04-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kunaalbhasin Quote
If anythingk it's a difference of opinion in WB, not anything to be concerned about regarding the cameras themselves. If you'd rather your skies look violet, though, you can indeed just tweak your WB or color settings to get that look.
Well like I said before, the skies with my Pentax cameras have always looked blue like they should. I don't really think I've ever noticed a green looking sky or a purple one in my photos.
04-08-2010, 02:03 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
I think the most obvious difference is between the first two -- Aperture and LR2 with Adobe Standard colors. The Aperture has the least green in the sky colors and this version produced with LR2 has the most, appearing almost turquoise.

I think this also shows how the "Camera Standard" setting makes all of the colors kind of fake-looking and over-saturated, though at this size it looks pretty good. At full scale it bothers me a bit more.

The lens, by the way, is the DA 55-300. I think it did a nice job.
04-08-2010, 02:04 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I'm not seeing the green here.
Surely you can see the difference between the hue of the sky in those four photographs. The first two have a very obviously different cast to the sky.

04-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Maybe my monitor isn't properly calibrated but no, I think the sky looks the same in all of them. Different shades of blue maybe but I'm still not seeing the green anywhere in the photos.
04-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by kunaalbhasin Quote
If anythingk it's a difference of opinion in WB, not anything to be concerned about regarding the cameras themselves.
I've never suggested it's a problem with the camera. It is an issue of how Lightroom develops the RAW files, which is why I am providing samples so the original poster can see how Lightroom, using default settings, adds a green cast to the sky as compared to Aperture, and in-camera jpegs. (Which I am about to post below).
04-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #22

Maybe my monitor isn't properly calibrated but no, I think the sky looks the same in all of them. Different shades of blue maybe but I'm still not seeing the green anywhere in the photos.
Maybe you misunderstand my use of green. I am not suggesting that the skies are green like the leaves on a tree, merely that they are a shade of blue that leans towards the green side of the spectrum, like a turqoise or teal color.

If you wait a few minutes I am going to post links to a different image. Perhaps it will be more clear to you with those samples.

04-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #23

In-camera JPEG using "Natural" color preset:

RAW developed using Lightroom 2.6, Adobe Standard color:

Here you can see the skies in the Lightroom image have a slightly more greenish or turquoise cast than what is produced by the in-camera jpeg.
04-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I suppose it doesn't help that most of us don't have calibrated monitors...but the skies look a natural deep blue on my display.
04-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm still not seeing it. I'm really sorry but the skies look totally normal to me.
04-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #26

I'm still not seeing it. I'm really sorry but the skies look totally normal to me.
OK, well, I'm glad you like my skies. I don't find either image objectionable. In reality I believe the sky was considerably darker than what we see here so I also can't say which one is more "realistic". However, I can definitely tell the difference in color cast between the two photos of the streetlight. If you can't perhaps that is a blessing so you don't waste time worrying about such things.
04-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
OK, well, I'm glad you like my skies. I don't find either image objectionable. In reality I believe the sky was considerably darker than what we see here so I also can't say which one is more "realistic". However, I can definitely tell the difference in color cast between the two photos of the streetlight. If you can't perhaps that is a blessing so you don't waste time worrying about such things.
Oh believe me, I'd rather be worrying about things like color casts in the skies. I do see what you mean in the last example about there being a lot more turquoise than one would expect, but honestly you'll probably get that with any camera. It's just how the camera records colors that it's not entirely sure about.
04-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
In-camera JPEG using "Natural" color preset:

RAW developed using Lightroom 2.6, Adobe Standard color:

Here you can see the skies in the Lightroom image have a slightly more greenish or turquoise cast than what is produced by the in-camera jpeg.
These are very revealing examples and clearly show the point of the greenish tint to the blue sky. BUT it also makes very clear, that this is a software problem of LR, not a camera related problem.

With RAWs we are al dependend on the pp software and obviously that needs some consideration.

Ben
04-08-2010, 03:40 PM   #29

I dunno if its the lens or the sensor, but its has been said that Pentax does the greens very well, which I agree.
I had sigma lenses from which I had a blue tinge to them. Good for skies but bad for many things like skin tones.
04-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

These images do indeed show a difference - some of them have the sky looking exactly as greenish as it is supposed to, the rest are all very artifically on the violet side. The greenest of the images look far more correect to me than the more violet ones on my calibrated monitor.