Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
These are very revealing examples and clearly show the point of the greenish tint to the blue sky. BUT it also makes very clear, that this is a software problem of LR, not a camera related problem.

With RAWs we are al dependend on the pp software and obviously that needs some consideration.

Ben
Patrickw,
Exactly, i see the green tint resulting in a turquoise color every time you use the Adobe Standard, except when you used your preset - well done.

I have no reason not to consider Ben's statement to be true, this is a problem with the LR software conversison for Pentax RAW.

04-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too have noticed the very slight greenish cast when converting via ACR. I created a preset that adjusts the tint to +2, without any other adjustments. I'm happy with that.

My limited experience with Canons has been that while they are generally is excellent with getting the color tint right they tend to oversaturate consistently.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365
04-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Since I read the original question I've done some looking through Adobe documentation. Adobe makes a free DNG Profiles Editor that allow us to create custom color profiles for raw conversion. It only works with DNGs, not PEF or other proprietary raw formats. Since I convert on import, that's not a problem for me. The program has been in beta release since 2008, but appears to work without problems.
DNG Profiles Editor documentation link.
DNG Profiles Editor download link.

Yes, I know that my K20D will shoot DNG files in camera, but they tend to be about 5 MB larger than PEFs or converted PNGs. Apparently, both PEF and DNG files normally use some non-destructive compression, which my camera doesn't apply when saving images in DNG format. Conversion with ACR does use the compression and stores DNG files of approximately the same size as PEF.

Anyway, I'm learning the Profiles Editor and find that it can be used to make very simple or drastic and global changes in images. The range of uses covers a wide gamut of situations, some of which I didn't know it was possible to work with, such as dual illumination sources like mixed incandescent and fluorescent lighting.

For best precision calibration against a color chart seems advisable, but a simple shift away from green to magenta can be made with a few clicks. I've ordered a color chart and will post a tutorial when I'm more comfortable with the process.

michael mckee
04-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Since I read the original question I've done some looking through Adobe documentation. Adobe makes a free DNG Profiles Editor that allow us to create custom color profiles for raw conversion. It only works with DNGs, not PEF or other proprietary raw formats. Since I convert on import, that's not a problem for me. The program has been in beta release since 2008, but appears to work without problems.
DNG Profiles Editor documentation link.
DNG Profiles Editor download link.

Yes, I know that my K20D will shoot DNG files in camera, but they tend to be about 5 MB larger than PEFs or converted PNGs. Apparently, both PEF and DNG files normally use some non-destructive compression, which my camera doesn't apply when saving images in DNG format. Conversion with ACR does use the compression and stores DNG files of approximately the same size as PEF.

Anyway, I'm learning the Profiles Editor and find that it can be used to make very simple or drastic and global changes in images. The range of uses covers a wide gamut of situations, some of which I didn't know it was possible to work with, such as dual illumination sources like mixed incandescent and fluorescent lighting.

For best precision calibration against a color chart seems advisable, but a simple shift away from green to magenta can be made with a few clicks. I've ordered a color chart and will post a tutorial when I'm more comfortable with the process.

michael mckee
Thanks Michael. I never really cared about DNG, but that sounds quite interesting. So, please post your findings here (or at least a short notice, if you start another thread).

Ben

04-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone have comments about the embedded color profile on Lightroom? The K-7 shoots compressed DNGs, and if you shoot DNG it embeds the profile. I've found the profile has more contrast but different color than the Adobe and Camera Standard profiles. Unfortunately, I'm red-green colorblind, so I'd like someone who's not to comment on the color differences with the Embedded profile.
04-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Thanks Michael. I never really cared about DNG, but that sounds quite interesting. So, please post your findings here (or at least a short notice, if you start another thread).

Ben
I'll do that Ben. I ordered a color card from Adorama. Since I live on the opposite coast from them, their free shipping takes up to 2 weeks. Give me another week to play with it. My photo club meets May 3 and I'd like to have a writeup by then.

michael mckee
04-16-2010, 07:02 PM   #37
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Completely OT, but based on the outdoor ISO3200 shots of the building, sad as it is to say I'd go for the Canon if I was on the fence over the two. Otherwise, I like everything about the K-7 more. And gawn that " light optimiser" of the Canon seems completely worthless and more of a " light de-optimiser".

04-19-2010, 02:56 AM   #38
Inactive Account

My recipe for Pentax K10D - use the original converter Silkypix. After opening PEF file adjust WB follows (circled in red).

Thus we add the magenta color in the shadows and the image itself. Changing the settings in the camera, unfortunately achieve an acceptable outcome did not happen.
Attached Images

09-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Sorry to churn up an old thread but thi sis the best I can mange to find in search.

Has anyone gone any further poking around with calibration for the K7? I am about to import a SWATHE of images from a holiday in Greece and boy do I need my blues right.

To me, yeah Adobe standard is too green, but I feel Camera Standard is too purple in the blue channel. Embedded is just a mess.

THis brings me to a second question, i remember reading here somewhere that the Embedded profile replicates the JPG engine but it clearly doesn't when i cross reference against my LCD.

I am shooting DNG btw.

Any help appreciated.
10-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to bump this thread also. I'm using LR 3.2 and I never really paid attention to this blue sky issue. But this summer I shoot a lot of pictures with both the K-x and the K-7 of Florida wonderful blue skies. Problem: the Adobe Standard profile doesn't render the same blues on both cameras. The K-x seems more natural to me and the K-7 has this horrible turquoise tone. I'll try Patrickw solution but it would be nice to have a correct profile. I'm wondering if the problem is the same for all cameras based on the Samsung sensor.
10-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Has anyone gone any further poking around with calibration for the K7? I am about to import a SWATHE of images from a holiday in Greece and boy do I need my blues right.
I use the Pentax K-x with a circ. polariser

I PP my photo in ACDsee pro

Here one photo. For me the bue are great

10-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I use the Pentax K-x with a circ. polariser

I PP my photo in ACDsee pro

Here one photo. For me the bue are great
That's great but the problem is about the K-7 and LR profile. My own K-x is fine like yours and I use LR.