Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adobe photoshop elements 7 - how to save adjustment settings to each photo?

Hi,

I am test driving the trial version of photoshop elements 7 (I know the latest version is PSE8 but this is what I am trying now...)

I am wondering if there is a "settings" folder that PSE keeps the adjustment settings for each DNG file? Say for example if I am working on this DNG file (taken using my K-7) and I have done the exposure settings and all, is there a way I can "send" this raw file together with whatever settings I have adjusted so far to another PSE user (in this case my wife) so that she can continue to work on the pics in her own PC?

I tried out Capture One and C1 maintains a "settings" folder under each group of photos. Are we able to do the same in PSE?

Many thanks
Raider

04-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Presuming the converter is the same as Photoshop, there is a dropdown tab on the right side of the toolbar (basic, tone curve, etc). You have an option on that to save the settings.
04-05-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks wheatfield. I am assuming you are referring to the XMP file "supposed" to be created by PSE during each save? If so, I manage to find the settings under the top icon bar in PSE. It asked if I am saving to a raw database or XMP...and I select XMP.

I would imagine this will write a small XMP file in the same folder as the DNG files? It is not working in my case.....there are no other files in the folder except my DNG raw files. Are these XMP files suppose to be in another folder?
04-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

On my machine, the default save location for this is:
C/documents and settings/owner/application data/adobe/camera raw/settings
You could change the save location to wherever you want during the save process.

04-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know the specifics of your version, but one of the differentiators betwene DNG and proprietary RAW files is that with DNG, the XMP metadata is stored within the files themselves, not in sidecar files. There's probably way to turn that off and get sidecars if you want, but freedom from sidecars is why some people switch to DNG in the first place.
04-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Wheatfield and Marc.

Marc, this is interesting. Does that mean that if the adjusted exposure settings done in PSE are now stored in the DNG files themselves, I can just send the DNG files to anyone who can read/write DNG files and they can resume working on the DNG raw files automatically?

If so, this is GREAT!!
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not just now - they've *always* been stored in the DNG files themselves. That featurees has been there since the dawn of DNG.

Of course, they have to have the same software as you in order to take advantage of any work you've done. Elements might write, for instance, "contrast = 17" to the DNG file, but some other program has no idea what that means, so it ignores it. On the other hand, most programs that deal with DNG can write an adjusted preview into the DNG file, so other programs can at least show you a snapshot of what the image is supposed to look like, even if they won't let you continue editing where you left off.
04-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Marc, thanks for your explanations.

I guess this also mean that XMP files are not required for DNG files as all the settings are now embedded into the DNGs themselves. No wonder I couldn't find any XMP files in PSE!

04-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Correct - not just adjustment settings, but also ratings, IPTC metadata, even customized EXIF data are stored in the XMP area of the DNG file itself rather than in a sidecar.