Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #1

Aperture 2.1.4 dng support gone?

I just downloaded the latest update from Apple, as it said that it now supported the my K7's PEF RAW files (thank you Apple). However when I opened Aperture, all of a sudden the DNG Raw files that I took a few weeks back in Germany give an error stating "Image Format Not Supported". These are images that I was able to edit last week, without any problem.

Has anyone else ran into this? Is there a fix?

thanks,

josh

04-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PEF support is only for Aperture 3. Try downloading an older Raw Compatibility update.

Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.7
04-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Stay well away from RAW Compatibility update 3.1 regardless of what version of Aperture you're running. It completely screws Pentax RAW files (DNG & PEF) as well as RAW files from a few other cameras (eg Canon 30D). I had to roll back to 3.0. The Pro Kit update is OK.
04-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Stay well away from RAW Compatibility update 3.1 regardless of what version of Aperture you're running. It completely screws Pentax RAW files (DNG & PEF) as well as RAW files from a few other cameras (eg Canon 30D). I had to roll back to 3.0. The Pro Kit update is OK.
My Aperture 3 is up to date and doing fine with PEF. No more green PEFs, either. I upgraded to 3 recently because Aperture 2 would not read PEF, however, iPhoto was fine with it. So at least there's iPhoto to fall back on.

04-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Perrumpo Quote
My Aperture 3 is up to date and doing fine with PEF. No more green PEFs, either. I upgraded to 3 recently because Aperture 2 would not read PEF, however, iPhoto was fine with it. So at least there's iPhoto to fall back on.
Interesting, maybe PEFs are OK then. My DNGs were a distaster with the RAW 3.1 upgrade with the white balance totally messed up and not recoverable.
04-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Interesting, maybe PEFs are OK then. My DNGs were a distaster with the RAW 3.1 upgrade with the white balance totally messed up and not recoverable.
Yeah, that's weird. It fixed my white-balance problem.
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ended up downloading Aperture 3 trial. Was hoping to spend money on Silver FX pro instead of Aperture, but at least now I have 29 days to try and sort Aperture 2 out.

Oh well, we'll see what happens.

04-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took a bunch of shots yesterday that were a tad underexposed and they all ended up having a purplish cast that can't be recovered. If I look at the raw in adobe raw it looks ok.

How do I roll back the apple raw converter to 3.0?
04-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I took a bunch of shots yesterday that were a tad underexposed and they all ended up having a purplish cast that can't be recovered. If I look at the raw in adobe raw it looks ok.

Aperture 2: Troubleshooting Basics

Aperture 3: Troubleshooting Basics

Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 3.0

Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 2.7
04-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here's the instructions I used successfully.

QuoteQuote:
Okay I fixed the problem by rolling back from RAW 3.1 to RAW 3.0.

You can do that by running the following from the Terminal:

sudo rm -rf /System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle

I ran that command and then downloaded 3.0 from here:

Digital Camera Raw Compatibility Update 3.0

After that was installed I updated the dodgy previews and images caused by RAW 3.1 by holding down Option while Ctrl-clicking the preview with the weird lines.

So it seems there is a major issue with the new 3.1 RAW update under some circumstances.
04-13-2010, 06:58 AM   #11
Banned

Here's the instructions I used successfully.
I tried that and all I got with the 3.0 version was unsupported format warnings so I've gone back to 3.1 and decided to just use the Pentax software and process to tiffs for now.
04-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I tried that and all I got with the 3.0 version was unsupported format warnings so I've gone back to 3.1 and decided to just use the Pentax software and process to tiffs for now.
For PEFs or DNG? For DNG, RAW 3.0 is fine.
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM   #13
Banned

For PEFs or DNG? For DNG, RAW 3.0 is fine.
I tried it with Kx DNG's and I got unsupported formats. I might be considered an apple fanboi but Aperture 3 really needs some work, and obviously the Apple raw converter isn't there either.
04-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried it with Kx DNG's and I got unsupported formats. I might be considered an apple fanboi but Aperture 3 really needs some work, and obviously the Apple raw converter isn't there either.
That's strange because I haven't had any problems since 3.0.1 and RAW update 3.1 didn't have any problems either.
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That's strange because I haven't had any problems since 3.0.1 and RAW update 3.1 didn't have any problems either.
It depends on the photos from my experience. I saw a few when I first got the K-X and was testing at ISO 12800. Never saw it again over hundreds of photos, saw it again last week when shooting high iso (3200-12800). I think it may be related to the processing of high iso images.