Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
can't shrink my photo for my PAL Photo

I can no tshrink a photo to look normal for my Possession and Acquisition Licence, the photo has to be 1 3/4" by 2 1/4" and the height of th ehead shot has to be 1 3/16" very time i try and adjust it gets all distored when i try and resize the original photo, should I do a close up or further back and then crop it in furstrated as heck.

04-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whoa!

What application are you using to size it? How are you resizing it?

If your using click and drag, then most applications support holding the shift key and dragging to keep it scaled.

If your resizing by entering values, make sure the application has the aspect ratio locked.

Cheers
04-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
I am using photoshop elements 7
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here is the picture at 4 by 2 3/4 I am going to have to retake any ways got to many shadows

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
04-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In Photoshop (and probably Elements) you have an option to resize images:
  • Image>Image Size from the top menu
  • Enter your document size
  • make sure Constrain Proportions is set
  • in Resample Image choose Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction) from the list
  • Click Ok

Have a read of this for other descriptions from the source:
Resize and Crop images in Photoshop and Photoshop Elements

Hope that helps

Cheers
04-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
that is what I tried with the above photo, widlife photography I can do, portrait not so much
04-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

To get rid of the shadows - without cloning etc - you could try diffusing the flash (I assume your using the on board flash unit) with something like a handkerchief or a piece of thin styrofoam (makes a very good diffuser)

Cheers

04-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Your basic problem is that the apsect ratio (google it if unfamiliar) of your picture doesn't match that of the size you are trying to make it. So of course it gets stretched if you try to resize it - that's like trying to put a square peg in a round hole. You need to first *crop* your image to make it the right shape, then resize it as necessary.

Since this question is about post processing (PP), I'm moving it to the proper forum.
04-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip marc,and sorry about not putting in the right forum. Fairly new to posting to site, have used it lots to search through for lens but not tmuch more