Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
anyone had prints done on metal?

I am curious if anyone here has had any prints done on the metal surfaces? I have seen a couple of these in our local airport, and I really liked the look of them and how vibrant the colors were.

I have poked around a few sites, like Bay Photo link and Anything Photos link.

I have a few pics in mind from my travel collections, but before I picked one I'd be interested in other's experiences, especially if there are some photos that are more (or less) suitable for printing on the aluminum sheets. Intended purpose is just to hang on my wall and look nice :-) Not a pro, not a sales thing, just because I like 'em

This is one of the photos I'm thinking of, at perhaps a 16x24 size. This one is a small attachment version, of course... From the K100D, so it's 6mp (JPG) at the source. (Related question - should I do a moderate upsize of the file before I send it off? 5-10 percent or so?)

Available software for any processing is PS Elements 6 and my son's copy of CS2. I've got one version at the original size with the dark-looking foreground boosted a bit lighter, which I would probably prefer over this one.

Thoughts, discussions, and experiences welcome

Jim

04-18-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I know bay photo is a great printer. I use them for my print sales. They have a money back guarantee if you don't like the print for any reason, so thats a big seller. The metal will tend to make the photo look a little cooler I feel like, though I haven't seen one in person.
04-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soppy Quote
I know bay photo is a great printer. I use them for my print sales. They have a money back guarantee if you don't like the print for any reason, so thats a big seller. The metal will tend to make the photo look a little cooler I feel like, though I haven't seen one in person.
Thanks Soppy :-) Must not be a very common thing to have done, from the lack of responses... It is kinda pricey, but the ones I have seen were amazing. They were bright colors (sunny prairies, blue skies, wildflowers, etc). I do think that this particular image would come out with a coolish tone, but that's the way that whole scene looked to the ol' Mk I Eyeball too. It was mostly overcast, snow was blowing by (at a pretty good speed too - it was darn chilly up on that rockpile!), the forest was a pretty dark green in tone. Maybe I'll just have to take the plunge and give it a try. :-)

Oh, and welcome to PF!

Jim
04-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know that so-called "UV direct print" can print on almost every surface, even if not exactly flat. I am currently investigating into this.

My idea is to print directly on acoustic absorber panels (Basotect).