Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #1

Lightroom v. bundled software v. Elements

I have been using Photoshop Elements and just got a new K-10D, so I have the software from Pentax that the bundle with the camera. Friends of mine are raving about Lightroom. Does anyone have any comments on the use of one over another? I don't like the editing of redeye with Elements. It's awful, actually. The ArcSoft program I got with an old Canon is the best at redeye removal of any program I've ever used. Is Lightroom better than Elements at that? How good is the bundled software? I'd appreciate any helpful comments/suggestions. Thanx.

07-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #2

Heres a link that may help...

"Comparing Raw PEF and DNG Converters for Pentax Files, Spring 2007"
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is an excellent write up and I have similar opinions about some of the apps. In short, while not yet perfect, being a very new app, Lightroom is the best overall RAW workflow on the market. The new release of 1.1 makes it even better with new sharpening tools and improved speed. If you are actually going to buy one, that is the one I would recommend. Available for both PC and Mac with virtually identical look, workflow and results.

I do like the smoothness of the PPL results, but don't like to use it. The curves are clunky and there are some missing controls after using Photoshop, Lightroom and others for a while. For some shots it is the right tool. For most of my work I prefer more power. I also have over 15,000 shots in my library so the DAM side of Lightroom is quite nice.
07-29-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using PS Elements for 2 years now. Haven't tried Lightroom but was pleasantly surprised with the bundle Pentax Photo Laboratory. It's quite powerfull and can even correct lens abnormalities. But then I don't need a Pro PP program.

07-31-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom...by far, the best that i've worked with so far. Agree with the comments on the 1.1 upgrade. However, if you go that route, i strognly suggest a good book on the program...the guys at NAPP have put out a good bundle of info and even have tutorials ; also, " the adobe photoshop lightroom book"by Martin Evening was highly informative.....good luck !