Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Monitor calibrating tools

Hokedokes , opinions regarding the best monitir calibration tool for my 24''lcd monitor.
Cheers and thanks..

04-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Any of the hardware calibration tools will do a decent job. If yours is a wide-gamut monitor, you'd have to check compatibility though.
04-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recommend i1D2, but you might read up some reviews b4 you decided.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm
04-17-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a spyder 3 express and it works really well for my laptop. I haven't tried any others.

04-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a Spyder for a while, they work well but the one I had wasn't so good with LCD screens so I gave it to a friend who was still using CRTs and bought an Eye1.
I suspect that anything you buy in this category is going to be a pretty good device. I went with the Eye1 because X-Rite has been in the industry for almost as long as there has been an industry.
They also make the ColorMunki and the Pantone Huey.
04-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Cheers gang i think it will be the i1 also..
04-19-2010, 04:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I used a Spyder for a while, they work well but the one I had wasn't so good with LCD screens so I gave it to a friend who was still using CRTs and bought an Eye1.
I suspect that anything you buy in this category is going to be a pretty good device. I went with the Eye1 because X-Rite has been in the industry for almost as long as there has been an industry.
They also make the ColorMunki and the Pantone Huey.
Exactly, what I did. Coming from a Spyder2, now using the i1 with the iColor software, because I needed a calibration tool to support a wide gamut monitor.

Ben

04-20-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just found a site which has the pantone huey for $99 Australian!!. Any advice re this one or are they just a cheapie??...
04-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Papou Quote
Just found a site which has the pantone huey for $99 Australian!!. Any advice re this one or are they just a cheapie??...
The first generation of Huyes delieverd according to their price tag. The reports of how unuseable they were, filled whole forums.

Its gotten better over time, I think. The HUye Pro seems to be a better option. It also depends on your monitor.. If you have a good wide gamut monitor, you would need at least a Spyder3 to really calibrate it.

Ben
04-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #10

Software: ColorEyes Display Pro

Hardware: EyeOne Pro

As a long term investment for calibrating LCD displays, I think a spectrophotometer makes the most sense. Traditional colorimeters like the DTP94, Spyder and EyeOne Display need filters tuned to the particular LCD display. That's why so many LCD displays offer specially-tuned colorimeters for their displays. Change displays and you'll likely be looking at a new colorimeter purchase as well. For long term compatibility, a true spectro makes the most sense I think....but it comes at a price of course....but something like the EyeOne Pro can also do double-duty for measuring your inkjet printer output as well.

Regards,
Terry
07-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
Software: ColorEyes Display Pro

Hardware: EyeOne Pro

As a long term investment for calibrating LCD displays, I think a spectrophotometer makes the most sense. Traditional colorimeters like the DTP94, Spyder and EyeOne Display need filters tuned to the particular LCD display. That's why so many LCD displays offer specially-tuned colorimeters for their displays. Change displays and you'll likely be looking at a new colorimeter purchase as well. For long term compatibility, a true spectro makes the most sense I think....but it comes at a price of course....but something like the EyeOne Pro can also do double-duty for measuring your inkjet printer output as well.

Regards,
Terry
So you're saying that there is a different model Spyder for every make and model of LCD monitor on the market?

The more I read up on colour management the more confused I get.

Why can't I simply load up the profile file that came with my monitor and have accurate colors? All I want is my camera, monitor and printer to show the same colors.
07-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There is not a different Spyder for different LCDs - but there are some manufacturers who bundle dedicated calibration hardware with their displays (LaCie for example). Some of them use standard hardware, mostly the DTP94 and add there own software or an interface between their display's hardware calibration and the external sensor.

If you are usingt a wide gamuit TFT monitor, you9 should invest at least in a Spyder3 or i1/iColor Display, as older sensors (like the Spyder2) cannot calibrate the wide gamut properly.

Ben
07-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I just got a Spyder3Elite and am very happy with it. In retrospect, I probably should have saved a little money and gone with the Spyder3Pro, but it wasn't much more (the Elite is $195 at B&H with free shipping plus 5% BCB, and a few percent better at several sellers on ebay). The new software has some nice extra features too.
07-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
So you're saying that there is a different model Spyder for every make and model of LCD monitor on the market?
No, not for the Spyder3 but there are different versions of the i1 Display that are tuned for different displays and then usually re-badged and bundled with that display.

Again, I believe not enough folks consider getting the X-Rite i1 Pro *spectrophotometer* as a way of protecting their investment in measurement instruments. A true spectro never has to have special "tuning" for different displays. The X-Rite ColorMunki would be another spectro option.

QuoteQuote:
The more I read up on colour management the more confused I get.
Well, it's a very wide and deep topic....and display profiling/color management is by far the simplest application of color management.

QuoteQuote:
Why can't I simply load up the profile file that came with my monitor and have accurate colors? All I want is my camera, monitor and printer to show the same colors.
They never will show the same colors for a whole host of reasons....but you can get pretty close under the right (and controlled) conditions.
The reason you can't load up a generic profile for a given display is that the profile was made under certain specific calibration conditions (gamma, white point, luminance, etc.) which may or may not match how you have your monitor set up.

Terry
07-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlwyse Quote
Again, I believe not enough folks consider getting the X-Rite i1 Pro *spectrophotometer* as a way of protecting their investment in measurement instruments. A true spectro never has to have special "tuning" for different displays. The X-Rite ColorMunki would be another spectro option.

Terry
Technically I agree wit you Except you have to know your audience......
this chart is a good synopsis of quality/price
X-Rite ColorMunki - Review

I1 photo LT is $740....
X-Rite Eye-one i1 Photo LT - $740.00 : Booksmart Studio