Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DXO or CaptureOne

I'm looking at purchasing either DXO Optics 6 or CaptureOne because Pentax Utility 4 won't work right with my Vista 64 bit OS. I've downloaded both trial versions of DXO and CaptureOne. I like CaptureOne's image editing choices. DXO has lens and camera correction, but I can't seem to figure out how to convert to jpeg. Does DXO convert to jpeg? What does everyone here prefer DXO or CaptureOne?

04-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use DxO strictly to process images where I want the documented (by DxO) lens corrections done while I am enjoying a cool one. It is meant as a sort of pre-processing system, I think. I then use Lightroom with occasional excursions into PS Elements for the things that are there that I need.
04-18-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I do all my conversions with DxO, including cropping, straightening.
I find the results more to my liking than other converters I tried: Silkypix, Bibble, ACR in Lightroom and Capture one. Mind you that was 3 years ago. I made my choice at that point and didn't look back.
I also find that even pictures with lenses that don't have a specific correction module benefit from the DxO 'treatment' even more so in Version 6.
So, to answer you first question - can you create jpg's with DxO: certainly!
You might benefit from some light reading

It's on the Process tab that you define the output you want (left upper corner). You can set up more than one to create a DNG and a JPG for instance.
04-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #4

Hello,

Yes, DXO convert to jpg and Tif.
3rd page : Process batch on the left, you have to create profil to export (jpg or tiff, directory, level of compression, color mode etc ... and apply for select or all pictures.
Regards

04-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I do all my conversions with DxO, including cropping, straightening.
I find the results more to my liking than other converters I tried: Silkypix, Bibble, ACR in Lightroom and Capture one. Mind you that was 3 years ago. I made my choice at that point and didn't look back.
I also find that even pictures with lenses that don't have a specific correction module benefit from the DxO 'treatment' even more so in Version 6.
So, to answer you first question - can you create jpg's with DxO: certainly!
You might benefit from some light reading

It's on the Process tab that you define the output you want (left upper corner). You can set up more than one to create a DNG and a JPG for instance.
I use DxO for the lens corrections at all times - despite having to wait for the output - as mentioned above. I do also use it, even for unsupported lenses, when I need keystone correction. It is, for me, the most intuitive and easy to use system. My normal export is DNG to Lightroom. I do the JPEG conversions in LR because I always want to have the corrected DNG available. I also keep the original PEF (on two external drives) because sometimes I want to go an look to convince myself how great DxO works.