Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Windows Photo Viewer distorts my photos

I've usually used Windows Photo Viewer as a really easy way to breeze through a photo shoot and get rid of the shots that I obviously don't want. But on my Windows 7 machine (or maybe with this monitor) the pictures look terrible in Windows Photo Viewer - pixelated, the colors messed up, etc. They look fine when opened in Photoshop, so it's not a photo problem or overall monitor problem.

What simple and easy software can I use for quick photo reviews of big batches, before I get into the serious editing?
(or does anyone know why the photos appear distorted in Windows Photo Viewer?)

Thanks for dealing with a newbie question...

04-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help you with your Windows Viewer question, but have a look at Bridge, which comes packed with Photoshop 7 and later.
It's an excellent photo viewer, especially since it works seamlessly with Photoshop.
04-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the Pentax software?

Or Fastone, which is free and reads PEFs.
04-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are these RAW shots? You might need to install some sort of update or "codec" or soemthing to get Windows to handle your files.

04-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
No, they're not RAW. Just jpegs.

As I play with the Pentax software more it looks pretty powerful, but I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out the workflow.

Irfanview seems to be working fine, so I may use that for the quick reviews and removal (or PEF processing), then Photoshop Elements for the editing.