Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ACDsee Pro and Photoshop Elements - How to import LR/ACR presets?

Hi,

I am test driving these 2 software and I just could not figure out a way to import LR/ACR presets? Appreciate any help.

If both of these software could not do it, could PSP X3 fit the bill? (I have yet to download the trial version as i am almost reaching my bandwidth for this month)

Thanks
raider

04-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 * Create and apply Develop presets
04-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

ACDSee Pro doesn't import any Pre Sets from other programs. There are very few plugins that work with it also. I use it and it's a good program but it's limited compared to others.
04-21-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

Maybe I should explain myself a bit clearer. I wanted to use some of the freeware presets downloaded from the internet and import these into PSE (or ACDSee pro) or even Paintshop Pro X3.

I don't have LR and hence I can't use Wheatfield's method as suggested. I now understand that ACDSee is unable to do this as well, but what about PSE and Pantshop Pro X3?

Appreciate any feedback. Any PSP X3 users that can shed the light?

04-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

PSP X3 is a Corel product. I use the Corel Graphics X4. It's my understanding that PS plugins will work with PSP X3, what plugins I have bought for CG X4 have PSP listed as being able to use the plugin. PS 'Actions' on the other hand won't work.
Hope this helps.
BTW it's easy to create your own Presets or Actions in most progs
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Maybe I should explain myself a bit clearer. I wanted to use some of the freeware presets downloaded from the internet and import these into PSE (or ACDSee pro) or even Paintshop Pro X3.
In general, a preset would be good only for the program it was designed for. In the case of Adobe products, they all share the same Adobe Camera RAW, so some presets at least might work across products within that line - but others that depend on features specific to one product might not work.

Do you really download so many presets that this would be an important criteria in choosing a program? The strength of these programs is in how easy it is to do processing yourself - including creating your own presets (perhaps using ones you find online as models).
04-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Marc,

No. I did not download a whole bunch of LR/ACR presets from the web. In fact I only want the "film simulation" presets that sort of "simulate" the film look such as the kodachrome, provia, etc. All in all about 10 presets i would say.

It is just that I am unable to reproduce that kind of film simulation using acdsee (I am a big fan of the film simulation look (and please don't ask me to shoot film please ), hence i am looking to "import" the presets done by others.

Any help there?

Cheers
raider

04-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You might look at Bibble. IIRC there are 3rd. party developers making plugins and I think they have 1 that simulates film.
02-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Elements can use a lot of the plugins designed for Photoshop, e.g. Topaz Denoise is a program that operates seamlessly within Elements as a plug-in. Paintshop pro also is supposed to be able to use these same plugins. Lightroom cannot use plug-ins, except for its ability to exchange files with Elements and PSP.

Presets can be helpful, but they are much less sophisticated than plug-ins.

Regards layers, i joined a camera club and found a guy to help me get started with layers. Elements offer the potential in the future to expand your skills into that area. Also the interconnectivity between specialty programs and elements via plugins is a valuable flexibility to have.

Whichever way you go, you can always adjust later on, good luck!