Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Suggestions on learning Photoshop CS4

I'm wanting to learn Photoshop CS4 better than just muddling thru the software.

Can anyone make any recommendations on either on-line venue or would it be better to learn via a book. If the book is the route, title and author would be helpful. If someone has taken an on-line course any information would be greatly appreciated. I know there are a lot of on-line courses but I have no idea who is good and who is bad...

Thanks

04-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #2

The biggest question is what are you trying to do? Photoshop has seemingly limitless possibilities. Are you simply editing images using camera RAW? want to learn HDR? or even stacking images and layer masks?

My best advice is get a feel for what all the basic tools do. When you have a specific task you are trying to perform, google it. There are many helpful articles and video tutorials online that are all free.

And don't forget about the adobe help in the top right hand corner.
04-21-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks,

I'm wanting to get a good foundation in the software, not be an expert by any means.
I would like to be able to feel comfortable doing more of the basics and the tasks you mentioned. I know this is a huge program that can do a ton of stuff.
I learn easier by watching and then doing the task seems to stick better.

Any links you might have to the free online tutorials would be great....
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Here's a bunch of good one's:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...tutorials.html

04-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve,

I'll be busy clicking for the rest of the day...
04-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Martin Evening's books "Photoshop for Photographers" are excellent.
Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop CS4 for Photographers: A Professional Image Editor's Guide to the Creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (9780240521251): Martin Evening: Books

And if you want to go beyond photography, I learned a ton from "The Photoshop Wow Book". And it came with a CD loaded with Actions, Styles, and Shapes that I've gotten a lot of use out of.
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #7

Photoshop Basic Tools Overview | Photoshop | Tutorial Blog

a link to a list of all the basic tool functions and there keyboard shortcuts

35 Basic Tutorials to Get You Started with Photoshop

that one is self explanatory!

04-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have some books i like. I haven't found a single thing in them that I couldn't ifnd for free on the internet these days.

Just hit up your favorite search engine with the phrase "photoshop tutorial", and start looking at stuff. Check out the ones that look interesting. If you hit something in them that you don't understand and it doesn't explain, go back to the search engine and search for a tutorial on that particular item.

My other suggestion is that once you have some practice under your belt (doesn't need to be all that much), start playing with your own images. Also, I recommend you shoot in RAW, and hold on to disappointing pictures. The ones that annoy me because they were almost good are the ones that are often the best learning experiences for fixing stuff in post processing.
04-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
graphicgr8s

Join NAPP. Online tuitorials are great. Best $99/year I spend. And if a seminar comes to a city near you, GO. $79 for a full day of PS training.
04-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would second NAPP.
Their instructors write some of the books available on anything adobe. I would also recommend magazines, there are some of these published from UK that are amazing...cost almost like books though. Go to your barnes and nobles and they'd be in the photography magazine section. They are very visual and easy to follow. I would just drop by my second hand bookstore and look for them.
04-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
I would second NAPP.
Their instructors write some of the books available on anything adobe. I would also recommend magazines, there are some of these published from UK that are amazing...cost almost like books though. Go to your barnes and nobles and they'd be in the photography magazine section. They are very visual and easy to follow. I would just drop by my second hand bookstore and look for them.
Yeah, forgot to mention membership gets you a one year subscription to photoshop user magazine
04-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thought, that I plug regularly, is to go to your local public library and see what they have. It's a great try-before-you buy option. You can check out all the Photoshop books they have and see which one(s) will be a good fit for you. Personally I'm not crazy about the Scott Kelby book (have it) but get a lot more mileage out of the Photoshop for Dummies book. Which might tell you something about me, but is actually a bit more in-depth than the Kelby book without having to wade through all the narrative.

If your library is part of a system or consortium, they can probably get books from other branches as well if they're own selection is lacking.
04-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions. I will have plenty of resources to review over the weekend.
04-25-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Google and Youtube. Best training you can get. Well, not THE best, but it does the job. Just search for "photoshop tutorial". Do the ones that seem easy for you to understand and figure out, then work your way up to more advanced tutorials.
04-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe wait and learn CS5 since it is due out.