Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The price of memory...

...is just so cheap nowadays. I just bought a 1TB "portable" Seagate HD which is only slightly larger than my Iphone for less than the cost of an Extreme III 4g SD card was about a year and a half ago. I am saving about 10-12gigs of photos per month right now and filled up my most recent laptop's HD in less than a year since shooting 100% DNG nowadays. Talk about cheap....at current prices for memory, there is just abut no reason to shoot jpeg at all anymore...why risk a cooked file just to save some space?

Jason

04-23-2010, 05:05 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Harddrives are not memory. Memory comes in small long modules and fits in slots in your computer. Harddrives provide more space so you can save more photos.
04-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My mistake, "storage space"

Jason
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Memory is actually expensive for some reason. When I last bought some, it was dearer than it would have been six months previous. Which I didn't understand at all... generally the price of memory falls with time. And, as you say, storage space definitely has been dropping steadily. So, what's up with memory prices?

04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Memory is actually expensive for some reason. When I last bought some, it was dearer than it would have been six months previous. Which I didn't understand at all... generally the price of memory falls with time. And, as you say, storage space definitely has been dropping steadily. So, what's up with memory prices?
Guesses:

More people in more countries have more devices which require memory increasing demand to the point that there are no surpluses,

and/or

The economy is finally recovering somewhat and existing production capacity is being fully utilized, which means that no one will be undercutting prices due to slack demand at their one plant.

In the meantime, hard drive storage prices are being driven lower by advancements in technology which allow storage to take place in smaller and smaller sectors. A couple of years ago, I think, IBM announced some advances that were predicted to double capacities without raising prices. Now, I'm starting to see ads for 2 TB drives.

Those are my suppositions.
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends also one type of memory you're buying. DDR2, and DDR3 are the top ones now. DDR2 is usually less expensive than DDR3. But sometimes you find it's almost the same price. Like those above. However, it also depends on how much you buy too. Most newer motherboards can have up to 32Gb of memory. Mine only handles 8Gbs.

DDR is older ram and can be more expensive than those two above. Depending on where you live or where you buy.
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Depends also one type of memory you're buying. DDR2, and DDR3 are the top ones now. DDR2 is usually less expensive than DDR3. But sometimes you find it's almost the same price. Like those above. However, it also depends on how much you buy too. Most newer motherboards can have up to 32Gb of memory. Mine only handles 8Gbs.

DDR is older ram and can be more expensive than those two above. Depending on where you live or where you buy.
DDR2 prices have shot up because the manufacturing focus is on DDR3. DDR is pretty cheap on eBay still. DDR2 was dirt cheap a year ago. I saw Apple RAM 2x1GB DDR2 sticks going for 99¢. I held onto mine until it was going for ~$25 last fall. 2x2GB really shot up.

I'm surprised how expensive DDR3 still is, particularly 4GB sticks. Crazy. At least it's coming down.

But yeah, OP, HDD storage is so sweetly cheap now. Now we need SSDs to be the same!