Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Start here...

When all else fails.

Last edited by jfdavis58; 05-07-2007 at 10:18 AM.
11-27-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

hehehehe so true
11-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Soooooo true!

Hi JfDavis58!

This is great. So, are you going to tell us what sent you there?
11-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What the hell is that? Never seen one before.

11-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think this one would be a better starting point..

11-27-2006, 08:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow I thought thoses things were just a myth
11-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad this was well received!

Fundamentally I support this particular forum topic just about everywhere I go to discuss photography. My little contribution here has two sides: a bit of a joke but also a warning.

Everybody who waited or waits for their K10 now, probably downloaded and read the manual. I downloaded, read and annotated all three preliminary versions. Partly out of habit-I sometimes write manuals as part of my real job, but mostly because I knew my K10 was coming and I wanted to be ready to go! Seems that I was not alone in this thinking or process from other participants and their posts.

In four to six weeks the third or fourth batch of shipments will be distributed and sold. Many of those buyers will deposit the box, packaging, twist-ties and the manual in the garbage bin at the store where they buy the camera on the way out the door. There next stop will be forums like this for an abbreviated/abridged short form of the manual to get them 'up-to-speed' quickly. With necessary refreshers every time they get stuck.

I really don't want to get involved with or see this forum bogged in an endless cycle of regurgitating the manual. Or the sniping that sometimes grows with frustrated veteran participants.

I'm off the soapbox now.
11-30-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Fundamentally I support this particular forum topic just about everywhere I go to discuss photography. My little contribution here has two sides: a bit of a joke but also a warning.

Everybody who waited or waits for their K10 now, probably downloaded and read the manual. I downloaded, read and annotated all three preliminary versions. Partly out of habit-I sometimes write manuals as part of my real job, but mostly because I knew my K10 was coming and I wanted to be ready to go! Seems that I was not alone in this thinking or process from other participants and their posts.

In four to six weeks the third or fourth batch of shipments will be distributed and sold. Many of those buyers will deposit the box, packaging, twist-ties and the manual in the garbage bin at the store where they buy the camera on the way out the door. There next stop will be forums like this for an abbreviated/abridged short form of the manual to get them 'up-to-speed' quickly. With necessary refreshers every time they get stuck.

I really don't want to get involved with or see this forum bogged in an endless cycle of regurgitating the manual. Or the sniping that sometimes grows with frustrated veteran participants.

I'm off the soapbox now.
My k10d manual is getting down-right dog eared from reading it. I am constantly referring to it, carry it with me when out shooting, read it before falling asleep at night. There are still some things I don't get though. I hope to be able to some time feel free to ask a question without aggravating someone. When we have the answer to the question it seems like a silly question. Everything is easy once you know how.

11-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
My k10d manual is getting down-right dog eared from reading it. I am constantly referring to it, carry it with me when out shooting, read it before falling asleep at night. There are still some things I don't get though. I hope to be able to some time feel free to ask a question without aggravating someone. When we have the answer to the question it seems like a silly question. Everything is easy once you know how.
I am sure that I won't get a lot of whats in the manual to. I looked at it online, but I am very much a visual/ practical learner, meaning I have a hard time visualizing what something is/ means out of a book, without really trying it with the camera.
the good thing about digital, if you don't know what something means in the manual, you can just keep trying physically with the camera, taking shots until it all makes sense.

just another 2 cents (1 cent american)

cheers
11-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am with you Slip
12-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
a simplification

I'm not suggesting that questions about the manual be outlawed. I'm reminding folks of the start-point for getting those answers-and trying to be cocky and annoying and funny while I do it. In your case, I missed the mark.

I don't set forum policy, that's the owners domain. But from what I see, the owner is depending on the community to provide expertise (and a lack of it!). The community, especially those that have the knowledge has a right to expect a certain basic level of proficiency with jargon, procedure and characteristic (of the fundamental tool of the site purpose: the camera) from anyone posing a question.

If we were talking foo-foo valves and sawdust pumps and thingamajig's, the person asking a question would be expected to know what those things are BECAUSE the answer to the question will be provided with those terms embedded.

My rant should have stated clearly that those who rtfm, should be given preference over those who don't---------Hope that simplifies things a bit.
12-01-2006, 09:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Not sure I get that post. I think most agree you should read the manual. However I can say even after reading the manual sometimes having someone translate into english makes it a lot easier.

I hope you feel better.
12-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Pat beat me to it. I find the Pentax manual quite difficult although I do refer to it.

Besides, other people can explain things in much more simpler terms AND they also have the REAL experiences.
12-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Missing the point

If you read the manual, regardless of how difficult it may be for you to understand, than the original message IS NOT FOR YOU! You should be laughing or chuckling of grudgingly offering up a smirking grin. You should be ROTFL about the 'Dummies' book counter suggestion.

On the other hand, for that small group of lazy folks who come into the forum and say: "How Do I take Pictures?", I'm strongly suggesting, as a group, that we send them to the manual.
12-02-2006, 09:39 AM   #15
Inactive Account

On that point and explanation i completely agree I feel if I read the manual and still have questions then please post and we will try to help but if you are to lazy to read the manual and come to this forum looking for a free ride to using your new toy then I would suggest you RTFM first.

I found your first post to be very lite hearted and Clarence's response to be very funny. (I did get the gist of the post) I do feel though if we need to put the manual in the FAQ then we need to do that for reference sake. But please remember there are those who are new to photography and are looking for a way to start and want to be accepted in our world. Just remember where we all started and how long it took to gain the experience levels we now have. Also remember (NOT EVERYONE HAS THE SAME LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE.) There are quite a few here who I would consider Professional or very close to it with their know how and ability.

Also Remember this forum is for everyone. If you read a post and it bothers you report it and let it go though channels. that's the reason we have our Admin. and Mods. (Don't blame the Owners with out knowing or giving them a chance to explain their position. I have found here on this forum the owner takes great pride in letting us decide what really goes on here and if there are new parts to be added there is the process of asking and then seeing if what your asking for can be done and asking the forum members for their thoughts.

If you haven't been around here that long it's best to bring up a subject and get the feed back before going off on the Owners.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David