Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just wanted to share a problem I had with this registry change...

Hi everyone

I had some problems with photoshop cs2 and photoshop elements 4 that I wanted to share with you.

I installed the registry fix like suggested, turned off my computer (windows xp) and turned it back on and it worked great! exactly like it was supposed to do.,
I started to shoot some fooling around shots with my k10 in DNG and tried to upload them like I always do, using a card reader.
PS elements recognised the memory card, and the photos on it, but for some reason the thumbnails would not show up, it stalled and finally crashed PS elements.

then I tried to import the DNG files directly into PSCS2, and the same thing happened.... crash.
I decided to then take some photos with my wife's k100 in raw (.pef) and try that. the same thing happened as well.

I figured out that this started happening when I put in the registry change for the thumbnail viewing for DNG. I decided to uninstall the change, restart the computer and the problem disappeared.
Not saying it will happen to you, but if I were you, I would think seriously how much you really need to view the dng thumbnails in windows.

cheers

randy

01-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #32
Closed Account

Thanks Ericc,
I quoted your tip in Germany in
DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Index
Kind regards from Cologne, Germany
Jacob
01-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #33

Thanks ericc!

After spending a fair amount of time lurking on this forum, I had to register just to say thanks for your post. This is a huge boost to my workflow!
01-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #34

Does this also work with Win 7?? I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and was surprised that my .dng files do not display thumbnails.

01-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #35

xinaesthetic,

It looks like the link you gave for Barry Pearson is dead. The info can now be found here:

DNG - Digital Negative format
01-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
All I have to say is THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! That was easy and painless, and now I have thumbnails, as I was just wishing for this morning! Thanks again!

Zak
01-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #37
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
You are all making it way too difficult. Just install the following codecs which supports nearly every RAW file under the sun including DNG; 32 and 64bit and works under Windows 7:

Fast Picture Viewer | WIC RAW Codec Pack for Windows 7, Vista and XP

The codecs are free but the viewer isn't but you only want to view the thumbnails so you don't need the viewer. When you install, be selective as to which codecs you want to install as it supports all makes.

As for PSD files: this was supported by older versions of Photoshop but CS4 does not include the required dll anymore. Some had luck restoring the dll from an older version of Photoshop but I couldn't get that to work. I did manage to display thumbnails of PSD's under Windows 7 but for the life of me can't remember off the top of my head how I did it. I'd have to look it up if anybody wants this functionality. I probably have notes somewhere.

01-23-2010, 06:33 AM   #38

I'm using this codec pack to display thumbnails in Windows 7 x64, and it works fine for my Pentax K-x files. But if I want to view them after a double-click, the colors which look so nice in the thumbnail turn purple -- horrible!

I'm using 1.64, which enabled support for the K-x.
01-23-2010, 06:52 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
Courtesy of Ivan Glisin
  1. Open Notepad;
  2. Paste the following lines to editor window:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dng\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
    @="{3F30C968-480A-4C6C-862D-EFC0897BB84B}"
  3. Save file as "dng_thumbnails.reg";
  4. Double click on "dng_thumbnails.reg";
  5. Confirm that you want to add content to the Windows registry.

Old news
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60941-raw-image...-explorer.html
12-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #40
Inactive Account

Vista

does this registry file work for Vista as well??