Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Experiences with PaintShop Pro X2 and Pentax raw?

Hello!

I recently acquired Paintshop Pro X2 (turns out I can get it for free from my university).
I played around a bit but so far have been unable to import any .pef raw files from my K200 (it just refuses to open them even if .pef is one of the supported filetypes in the dialog).
Has anyone any experience with the raw support of PSP?
Would changing the raw format of the K200 help?

04-27-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

check for updates.
I never had a problem with my K200.
K7 is so far unsupported.
04-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by El Zoido Quote
Hello!

I recently acquired Paintshop Pro X2 (turns out I can get it for free from my university).
I played around a bit but so far have been unable to import any .pef raw files from my K200 (it just refuses to open them even if .pef is one of the supported filetypes in the dialog).
Has anyone any experience with the raw support of PSP?
Would changing the raw format of the K200 help?
Paintshop Pro X2 does support PEF files. I have a K10 and it handles those easily. It may be that it does not support your particular variety of PEF files yet. I know that earlier versions of Paintshop Pro supported the PEF files from earlier versions of the Pentax cameras, but didn't support the K10 PEF files. You might try downloading a free version of Paintshop Photo Pro X3 to see if that version of the program will handle the K200 PEF files.
04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
You might need

the "Ultimate" version.
X2 handled .pef from my k100d just fine, but not my k20d. Only after installing the Ultimate version was k20d supported. Kind of a crappy marketing thing for the consumer, as it essentially forces you to buy a newer version on order for your new camera to work. Of course, you could always use PPL or any other raw converter to convert to tiff or jpeg, then edit in x2, but still kind of kludgy.

04-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, guess I'll be using PPL or RawTherapee then.
There was only one update to 12.01 which I already had installed.

As I said I got PSP from my university, which right now is only offering X2.
However I hope that they'll upgrade to the new X3 eventually.

Ironically I tried PSP because I had trouble getting my Wacom tablet to work with the Gimp in Win 7 64bit.
After a bit tinkering, the tablet is now working great in the Gimp but not in PSP (can't get the eraser to work).

Still, the software offers some nice tools so I guess it'll stay on my HDD for now.
04-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
have you tryed DNG never have a problem with that format on x2 ultamate or 3
04-29-2010, 03:24 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I have tried both the X2 Ultimate and X3 but pentax RAW (PEF), altough supported, remain either noisy or washed out (cannot find a set of parameters to get it right). Pentax Lab or Lightroom 2.3 do a much better job at RAW processing. So I use PSP for processing jpeg or tiff, not RAW. (I have a K20D)

04-29-2010, 05:27 AM   #8

It might well depend on the camera. I have a K110D and use X2 Ultimate. Raw shots look pretty good from the start.
04-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #9

I have the same program

Mine works fine, maybe there is a settings problem? The only problem I have is viewing pef files in anything other than Paint Shop, won't display the image. Maybe a settings problem?
05-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #10

I use PSPX2 as my main tool, it does support the .PEF from my K-7 but not properly (wrong colors) so I use the Pentax converter or Adobe DNG converter to convert the file to .DNG and I'm all set.
05-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use PSP X3 presently and it supports my k7. Corelli is famous for being slow when it cmes to support

What you con do is go to the adobe site and download acres dng converter that will generate dng from pef

it worked even with my k7 in psp x2.
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I used to use PSPX2 regularly, until I got the K20D. You need to get the "Ultimate" edition to be able to read K20D raw files, either in PEF or DNG. I found that after paying like fifty bucks to upgrade, the dynamic range of the RAW converter was terrible. I live in Colorado, and I immediately noticed that there was a whole lot more snow on the snow-capped peaks with conversions from PSPX2 than PPL, RawTherapee, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. It was really obvious!

Although PSPX2 is a very capable software suite, I'd recommend staying away unless you have to use it for RAW conversions.
05-27-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I was just able to import the DNG file from my k2000. When I use the PSPX2 organizer, the DNG doesn't show up. It's only when I do File>Open that I can import the DNG. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out the differences in PSPX2 between One Step Noise Removal, Digital Camera Noise Removal and Add/Remove Noise!
06-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As I recall, the one step noise removal did a fair job, but the digital camera noise removal gives you a lot more options to customize the amount and type of removal. One step works fine for most situations, but with high ISO images where careful noise reduction is necessary, take the time to work with the digital camera noise removal.

That said, the noise tools in X2 aren't that great. Noise Ninja does a much better job, and you can download a free trial. It's costs about half of what you've already paid for X2, but it's certainly worth trying. Noise Ninja: Downloads
06-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have noise ninja and while it does remove noise, i find it really has limited controls also, In fact if you learn the noise reduction tools in PSP X2 or X3 you can achieve the same thing.

The most useful noise reduction tools are the salt and pepper noise removal, which can be tuned to a specific radius of noise, usually 1-3 pixels, and the edge preserving smooth.

Learn the tools and you will achieve good results.

noise ninja is not bad for starters and to get quick results but like any photography tool, it is just that. You need to learn how to use your tools