Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to compare AMD and Intel chips?

What new Intel chip compares to AMD Phenom II quad core chip? Trying to get a feel for a fair comparision. I-3, I-5, or I-7? Are any of the Intel quad core?

thanks
barondla

04-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

AMD has really kind've fell behind in terms of their processors. The I-7's are quad-cores and mind numbingly fast.
04-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
AMD has really kind've fell behind in terms of their processors. The I-7's are quad-cores and mind numbingly fast.
They are also mind numbingly expensive.
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AMD just announced a Phenom II X6 6-core chip today:

HardwareCentral - AMD Unleashes Six-Core Desktop CPU - www.hardwarecentral.com

As mentioned in the article, it still has no hyperthreading capability as do Intel chips.

04-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

One workstation I built uses an Intel CoreDuo at 2.8GHz and the other is an Athlon X2 also at 2.8. Both have 4GB memory.

Aside from the Intel system using a PCI-E vidcard and the AMD uses the integrated (ATI HD4230) there really isn't a big difference in benchmarking. The Intel scores 6.2 and the AMD scores 5.6 (the graphics score is 4.3 since its integrated).

The AMD is easier to overclock however (if so inclined). As much as Intel made some kick ass processors in the i5 and i7 series I don't see them as practical right now as two cores are more than adequate. Use the money you save for more memory, a bigger HD or vidcard. AMD does make a triple-core processor (Phenom?) if you wanna be different. :-)
05-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Comparison charts

In the chart below you will find the processing time for a number of filters in Adobe CS4 using similar systems, just with different CPUs. I used to be an AMD fanboy but AMD has really fallen behind when it comes to CPU performance, the Intel i5 750 beats any quad core AMD, and any faster Intel chip does as well...but it's worth to check the pricing as well, there might be certain pricepoints where it's still better to buy an AMD chip.

Charts, benchmarks 2009 Desktop CPU Charts (Update 1), Adobe Photoshop CS 4

But as mentioned earlier, both Intel and AMD have released 6-core chips lately, and while the Intel chips are much faster, they are also more a lot more expensive, so only AMDs 6-core is really worth it, but then again it barely beats the Intel i5 750 in photo processing in CS4 (look at the second link), which is almost one ghz slower and only has four cores...but other than in CS4, the 6-core AMD is faster than that particular Intel chip most of the time, so again, the price will have to decide which one to go for.

Benchmark Results: Productivity : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T And 890FX Platform Review: Hello, Leo
05-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think if money is not an problem go for Intel's latest processors, but if you are running on budget AMD can give better performace for price. photo processing is your main task, more cores are always helpfull.

05-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

But more important than a faster processor is more RAM. An extra $100 spent for 4GB more will improve the system more than an extra $100 on a processor.
05-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

PassMark Software - CPU Benchmark Charts

This one for the top end single CPU
PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

Thank you
Russell
05-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Oh boy, has anyone had any experience with the Westmere chips? These seem to be succeeding the Nehalem and sure look good on paper. I might pick up a pair for our site's server- the more cores the merrier

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
graphicgr8s

Benchmarks are fine but would the average person running CS4 really notice a difference? Personally unless it's a huge file at work with Indesign, Illustrator and PS running the difference is slight.
05-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Benchmarks are fine but would the average person running CS4 really notice a difference?
CS4, listening to music, real time virus scanning, widgets on the desktop, mouse/keyboard/tablet button software, fan control software, explorer, ....
Nobody just runs CS4.

Thank you
Russell
05-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
CS4, listening to music, real time virus scanning, widgets on the desktop, mouse/keyboard/tablet button software, fan control software, explorer, ....
Nobody just runs CS4.

Thank you
Russell
Well I don't run widgets. In fact I run what's necessary to get my work done and i don't listen to music while working. Most of my stuff requires my full attention. Plus it's a PITA to lower it when the phone rings. I do all my editing at work with a plain old mouse. And my fan runs. All the time. No need for CPU intervention.
05-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
AMD just announced a Phenom II X6 6-core chip today:

HardwareCentral - AMD Unleashes Six-Core Desktop CPU - www.hardwarecentral.com

As mentioned in the article, it still has no hyperthreading capability as do Intel chips.
The AMD is 1/3 the $$$, and can be significantly overclocked- stable @ 4GHz! Runs super-smooth, too!
Attached Images

05-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Studied all the bench mark tests and other recommendations. Was looking at AMD Athlon II quad core. Changed my mind and bought a Dell with Intel i5 750 chip and 6g memory.

The computer zips thru raw files so quickly it is amazing. It is also very quiet - can barely tell its running. Do have a few questions about Windows 7 which will be in a new thread.

thanks
barondla