Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2010, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Lightroom 3 will feature lens correction

Found this bit of news on another forum:

John Nack on Adobe: Yes, Lightroom 3 & ACR will feature lens correction

Most likely, Pentax lenses won't get such correction modules (anyone willing to bet Adobe will only bother with Canikon?), but at least...
QuoteQuote:
A handful of lens profiles will be provided by default and a Lens Profile Creator Utility will be posted on Adobe Labs allowing photographers to create their own lens profiles using a simple procedure.

(should be easy enough for primes, but I wonder how would one go about creating a profile for a zoom...)

04-28-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FANTASTIC!
I'll have to read up after work, but is there manual correction or only for the lenses they provide?
Been waiting for that. Combined with the noise reduction the LightRoom3 upgrade is a pretty big deal.

Thanks for the info.
04-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Looking at that You Tube video, it looks like there will be a manual correction available as well (different tab) at the top of the window.

Erik
04-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the lens profiling software is anywhere as easy as the PT Lens filter, which does the same thing in Photoshop, then it should be pretty quick and straightforward. Shoot a test shot or two with a provided pattern, then adjust and save the settings.

michael mckee
My Port Townsend – A City in Photographs – 365

04-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I got ahold CS5 today. I suspect its lens corrections are going to be consistent with what will be in LightRoom3.

As expected, there are no Pentax camera/lens profiles for automatic lens correction yet.
But their downloadable tool for creating profiles is quite simple to use and works pretty darned well!

In about 10 minutes (from printing pattern through creating profile), I had a fairly decent profile.
Of course, for a zoom lens you need to repeat for each focal length. Distance and other factors apparently have some effect, so it can take some effort to create a good library.
Still, pretty darned easy for pretty decent results.

Dunno whether I'll spend the time to create my own without a really good environment. (i.e. making sure everything is straight and planes are parallel) or whether I'll wait for someone more motivated to create the profiles.
For me, I probably spend very little time on such corrections to be worth the effort of building up the library.
05-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here's a link to the profile creator:

Adobe Labs - Adobe Lens Profile Creator

and the guide:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/lensprofile_creator/lensprofile_crea...hooting_qs.pdf

The profiles will be useable in both Lightroom and CS5, it seems (oh, ACR as well, obviously).
I don't have either a tripod, or two flashes, so I don't think I'll try this anytime soon. But maybe some other fellow members will give it a try
05-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I just hung printed pattern (13x19 sheet) on the back of a door and simply used a long shutter.
Mainly, the software will try to correct for vignetting so even lighting is somewhat important.
As long as the lighting is fairly consistent across the page, you do not need great lighting.

05-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the update. Just curious... can it do any CA/PF corrections as well?

And here's a thought: wouldn't it be nice if Pentax put a couple of employees in charge with creating these profiles? It would be one damn nice gesture towards its userbase, IMHO
05-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yep. It is supposed to do them as well.
So I would guess good bright lighting would be beneficial to getting the most contrast to show CA/PF.
05-02-2010, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #10

Profile for Fisheye 10-17mm

Hey guys,

I was looking for a profile for de-fishing the Pentax fisheye and couldn't find anything so I sat down and made my own. Here's a test shot with default correction settings (sorry about the toilet... It was the best high contrast scene with lots of lines that I could find) :

before:
Fish on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
after:
De-Fish 177/365 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you want to have a go, I uploaded my profile here:
http://www.attilaacs.com/downloads/pentax_lens_profiles/pentax_fisheye_profile.zip
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No one else has said anything, so I'll say "thanks!" to attilaworx. I've only tried the profile once so far but it seems to work great! Very impressive.

I like the fisheye look so I won't use it all the time but it's nice to know that it's there!
06-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #12

holy crap, attilaworx, that's great
06-17-2010, 02:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That is an impressive fix. Better results than I would have expected.
I just posted profiles for the K7 with the DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135 and the 18-55 kit lens.
Haven't had much chance to try them out, but hopefully they work as well as your fisheye profile.
06-17-2010, 03:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Where did you post those profiles?

For comparison with attilaworx's profile, there is a profile for the Sigma 10mm fisheye which produces similar, but not the same, results - it might be worth looking at just for comparison for us fisheye shooters. There's a ton of Sigma profiles, even the unreleased 85mm F1.4! That makes me a little suspect...
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Sorry, see the post below for the links:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1049...ml#post1079833