Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mac or windows

I am in between computers at the moment and I have always used IBM (Windows) but my friend has an Apple and it does have some nice photo options. The president of my camera club says to staywith Windlows as there are some programmes which don't work on apple. Now I know it is oranges and apples, but thought this would be the place to get answers. Any advice???

04-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #2

Well, you can run Windows on a Mac, even run Windows programs inside Mac OS with some additional software. I've already set my mind that my next computer will be a Mac, now just waiting till my current (6 year old) laptop gives me an excuse to replace it...
04-30-2010, 12:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
Oh, that sounds interesting. Can you tell me the 'howes' of that? and what do you mean when you say 'run programmes inside Mac OS (OS?)? thank you.
04-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Going along with what kottier said, if you're open to a Mac, there's no reason not to get one since if you ever do need a Windows-only program, you can easily run it. Furthermore, Macs do have great software of their own, made by Apple, that is excellent for photography. iPhoto being the consumer, free app and Aperture being the pro app. To be honest, I don't see a need for a photography program on a Mac that is Windows-only anyway. A Mac can do it all when it comes to photography. In fact, it is most often preferred for such tasks.

Everything is easier, too. For example, I don't even have to convert my RAW files. I can drag a picture from iPhoto to my Desktop, and it's instantly a jpg on my desktop (with EXIF). Of course, you can keep it RAW, too.

04-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

No reason not to get a Mac if you can afford one. Simple as that.

As far as running Windows programs within Mac OS X, check out VMware Fusion.
04-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

It used to be that it made more sense to get a mac for pp work. Photoshop tended to work better on it and it was a little more intuitive. I still prefer macs in general, but at this point, you can put together a great, fast pc, hook it up to a vibrant monitor and do great work on it. I still think the general UI of Mac is less obtrusive and more user friendly than pcs, but in terms of cost, it may make sense to look at other alternatives.
04-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
Oh, that sounds interesting. Can you tell me the 'howes' of that? and what do you mean when you say 'run programmes inside Mac OS (OS?)? thank you.
Well, for one, there is a program called Parallels Desktop (there are others, too) that you run on you mac that lets you run Windows while you're in Mac OS. This is as opposed to using the program Bootcamp (included with every Mac) where you can boot in either Windows or Mac. The latter allows for a fully-powered Windows experience, whereas Parallels is more for quicker/lighter tasks instead of heavy lifting like gaming or video editing.

04-30-2010, 12:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hmmm. I am leaning toward Mac, especially like the idea of instant jpg. As for the price, seems to get what I want: that is decent monitor and lots of memory the price seems similar. I just bought a Dell for 16.000, which has been returned, so figure to only have to add a little to get the Apple. I do like the ialbum set up. err, sorry but what is OS?
04-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
err, sorry but what is OS?
Operating System!?
04-30-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trishy, at your stage, I think you'll find the Mac's more appealing to you even if for the more 'user-friendly' interface it offers, physically and functionally. Browse through the Apple website for the iMac options to give you a feel for the all-in-one options available, and factor in the extra RAM/hard-disk space/software that you may want.
04-30-2010, 04:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you make the switch there are some sites from Apple you will want to check out.

Apple - Support - Switch 101

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home

As for running Window$ on the Mac, try out VirtualBox from Sun Microsystems. It's free.

VirtualBox

You can also run some Window$ programs on Mac without Window$. You can install Wine (Wine is not an Emulator) or the commercial version Crossover.

Installing Wine on Mac OS X

Windows Applications Seamlessly Integrated on Mac OS X - Mac Windows - CodeWeavers
04-30-2010, 05:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
thanks for all the info; I think I am in if ever I get my refund from Dell. Thanks for the sites boriscleto, I shall save them and I am sure they will be very useful.
cheers, Trish
04-30-2010, 07:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Get thee to an Apple retail store. Play to your hearts content. Ask a zillion questions of the resident helpful folk (employees & others).

Buying an Apple is a considerable investment. It's nice to be able to see & touch all the options in person before you buy.

I've been running Macs for 8 years now and finally got he wife switched over last year. She was a reluctant computer user before, now she's on it every day.

YMMV, but probably not.
04-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bimjo Quote
Get thee to an Apple retail store. Play to your hearts content. Ask a zillion questions of the resident helpful folk (employees & others).

Buying an Apple is a considerable investment. It's nice to be able to see & touch all the options in person before you buy.

I've been running Macs for 8 years now and finally got he wife switched over last year. She was a reluctant computer user before, now she's on it every day.

YMMV, but probably not.
That's the best advice so far. Go play with a Mac and decide if you like it or not, because personal preferences are important. Some folks like Mac interface, some like Windows, some like Linux (and in that group some like Gnome, some like KDE, etc...). Some of us even like "real" Unix and build web pages using vi in an xterm ...

Personally, I despised the old Mac interface, before Apple put a Unix under the hood and revamped the interface. Now it's pretty nice. I'm accustomed to the way Winders works though, so I stick with it. You're in a position to go either way so find out which one you like better. As far as software goes, they both have programs to do pretty much whatever you want so I don't consider that nearly as big a factor as some folks do.

Jim
04-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

*hiding*

Frankly, it seems that a lot of the gap has closed. I'm not a big fan of Microsoft by any means, but I'd consider how quickly you might adapt to the different OS. I was given an older Mac and found I didn't really have the brainspace. I was trying to learn too much under far-less-than ideal conditions at the time, ...a big gripe about Mac for me is it tends to assume everything's working great, meaning you have to repeat everything from scratch if it doesn't. (A new-but- wonky scanner device proved nightmarish: I couldn't tell what was wrong.