Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What pixel size or inch are you using to upload here?

what are your specs for uploading to this site? Using flikr? I want them to look the best for here. any guidelines on dpi, width, height, etc.

05-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Maybe this will help or may be what you are looking for?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3280-tutorial-posting-ph...ckr-pbase.html

Jason
05-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i know how to use flikr now. i'd like to know what are you saving your files out as to upload to flikr?

i want the best looking image you all to see but I don't want it to be 4mb.

does that make sense? what are you compressing it down to? width size, etc.?
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As explained in the other thread you started, the dpi setting in the EXIF doesn't matter. It's just a number; it's not reality. All that does natter is how many pixels you include in your image. The forum guidelines call for images to be under 900 pixels wide and 600 pixels high, I believe.

05-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
Forum Member

dpi or ppi, pixels per inch determines the print size. It has no relevance to youur screen, unless you view it in an app that displays at print size. Like Indesign whis is a layout program.

Of course there are a certain ppi on your screen (Screen width in inches/ horizontal pixel resolution)

The max dpi value, or largest possible print size, is governed by the width of your image, and the resloution of the printer. 200 to 250 dpi is enough fr a printer. Offset starts at 300 dpi and up...

Jpeg is a really good compression format, but only the first time you compress it/ save it.

Always start by converting your jpgs to a lossless format before editing, like .psd or .tif

Many image editing apps willl preset the lowest value possible without visible degradation when you save or export as jpg. Use sRGB color profile for web use.
05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
...The forum guidelines call for images to be under 900 pixels wide and 600 pixels high, I believe.

Marc,
Can you provide a reference? When I first joined here, I seem to remember that the standard was 800 pixels on the long edge. When support was added for IMGWIDE things became less clear.

Steve
05-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Took me a minute to find the actual rules, but on this page:

PentaxForums.com - Forum Rules

it states:

# In order to prevent horizontal scrolling for most site users while maximizing the allowed size of posed images, no images wider than 912px are allowed in forum posts except in the first posts of threads in Post Your Photos or the Marketplace, where the maximum width is increased to 1024px.
# Please always add line breaks between posted photos. You may choose to use IMGWIDE or IMGTALL tags for excessively-sized images.

A couple of months ago we decided to start issuing warnings for overly large images, and the general policy decided upon was 900 wide by 600 tall.