Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2008, 01:32 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just one point here. I was never given an indication by "Wendy" about the location of the shoot she speaks of, therefore, I never could have witnessed it even if I wanted to. There was never an invitation. I have never communicated with Wendy off forum and cannot attest to the credulity of her claims. None the less, I will give her the benefit of the doubt.

Ben

08-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #77

Sounds like a troll. Her post was absolutely insulting and honestly that's the only one I've seen from her and I had to say something right away. Any national geographic photog will have some links to their stuff. Even a blog maybe. Ben does fantastic fashion work but is far from the only great photographer on this site. No offense Ben. There's plenty of great ones on here in all genres.
08-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
Sounds like a troll. Her post was absolutely insulting and honestly that's the only one I've seen from her and I had to say something right away. Any national geographic photog will have some links to their stuff. Even a blog maybe. Ben does fantastic fashion work but is far from the only great photographer on this site. No offense Ben. There's plenty of great ones on here in all genres.
I certainly agree. I am NOT a Great Photographer. I express myself in many forms of media from Music to Creative Direction and from Photography to Architecture. It is still me, but using different tools to express myself. I have seen profound excellence on this forum in such great abundance, that I suggested to Adam that Pentax Forums set up an image bank and sell rights commercially to Ad Agencies not wishing to spend money on productions. That is usually a 50-50 split. So yes, I do agree that PF's has some outstanding talent.

Ben
08-19-2008, 02:42 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Thread diversion warning...

Good on you Ben, it is a pleasure to see posters like you always adding value to the PF and to photography in general, rather than the reverse.
I would take great pleasure in seeing fellow Pentax shooters getting commercial return from their efforts in the form of an image bank. It would give me just so more to aspire to!

And now back to the advertised program...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I certainly agree. I am NOT a Great Photographer. I express myself in many forms of media from Music to Creative Direction and from Photography to Architecture. It is still me, but using different tools to express myself. I have seen profound excellence on this forum in such great abundance, that I suggested to Adam that Pentax Forums set up an image bank and sell rights commercially to Ad Agencies not wishing to spend money on productions. That is usually a 50-50 split. So yes, I do agree that PF's has some outstanding talent.

Ben

08-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #80
Pentaxian

OK, here are my predicions of what Pentax is going to offer; we'll know for sure after the Photokina.

The new "FF" body will have a 24MP sensor and will be based on the previous 645D design. This package will be extremely adaptable, up to the point that it will accept all K-mount lenses. For this, it will have a provision to move the sensor forward in the body. I do not know how they will solve the mirror problem but the engineers at Pentax are smart enough.

This is all based on what WendyB aka Nostradamus said:

QuoteQuote:
Just some the things played with today and for the rest of the summer. Its about 36 by 24, a supurb 1.6x for the older ones, and 24 something. It's not a boy toy for a cougar but it did wake me up at 6:45 in the morning with a FULL cup of coffee and the view of a wonderful sunrise over Lake Saint Clair through the frame of my picture window.
And:

QuoteQuote:
Unfortunatly but actually to move technology forward to FF the K mount will still be "totally" facilitated and included. Pentax/Hoya takes extreme pride in forward technology which includes the K mount lens road map. May I also add the full range of A's and M's. A correction factor mount for FF with the K's is still in the works and is quickly being resolved. From what is in my hands right now its a wonderful place to be. I am just taking pictures and reporting the results. I also shoot C and N's best offerings for comparison within this process.
If I were involved with either C or N's upper management I would be in shock of what Pentax FF has to offer. Oly might as well just take a 4/3'ds dump in the backyard. Even on a Pro level it even makes the price reasonable for the enthusiasts. For those that have have shot in the 645 format they will understand this. Please don't ask, I wont answer, pay very close attention to this forum.
And:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax keeps it very well out of "view" for good reason. I certainly do not think and now I know Pentax will not be a "late runner". Within the field testing of my extensive collection. All lenses are working within the road map which runs backwards nearly 35 years. As of this point in time I am not allowed to and can not specify how. Can C or N or Oly make this claim and support the backwards technology of their lens road map? Certainly not and thats a fact. All I can say is they are way ahead of schedules and come September many will be very pleased, especially with the cost factor and price.
Even if WendyB is wrong, at least I had some fun reading her posts
08-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=sharpshoota;320524] Any national geographic photog will have some links to their stuff. Even a blog maybe. [QUOTE]

Uh...not necessarily true. I know one who has worked for Nat'l Geo for 30 years and doesn't have a website, a blog, nor even use email as far as I can tell.
08-19-2008, 05:06 AM   #82
Gus
Forum Member

True, many photographers don't use technology to its fullest, that doesn't make them any less venerable in what they do. They certainly don't have to post here or elsewhere to qualify as pros, semi-pros or whatever. Still Wendy's post was confusing and can be interpreted as insulting at some point. Perhaps it was written in haste, only the original poster herself can clarify and as Ben put it, let's give her the benefit of the doubt.

What matters is that the sky doesn't seem to be falling...

Thanks Lance for starting this thread.

08-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #83
RaduA

Question for Ben

Ben,

I understood that your relationship with Pentax was compromissed after you alegedly posted NDA breaking infos on some forum. Being one of the few here who actually had a NDA with Pentax in your experience please tell me:

- were you authorised under the terms of the NDA to make such transparent allusions (645, FF)?
- were you allowed to show to others (friends from the forum let's say like ... AnyoneButWendyB) new cameras that you tested at the time just out of consideration? I mean she wanted to show you her's doesn't she?
- were you forced to go underground as long as you tested for Pentax? I mean I KNOW this is really a stupid question but I have to ask. What difference does make for a published NG photographer if we know who is she or not except of course the added credibility? Is she wearing a mask at the hospital when she is a NURSE (in between Paris shows of course) not to be recognised by Canon and Nikon ninja comandos?

All I have to say is if someone like Ben was treated by Pentax like he was if this WB person is real and a tester I expect Pentax to prosecute her for conspiracy and industrial espionage!

Radu
08-19-2008, 07:35 AM   #84
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Wendy,

If you won't post a photo, how about a ref to the issue of National Geographic you are published in? No?

Eric.
I second this. There are others of us that may not be "professional photographers", but we use our cameras for work related functions. For example, I'm in the process of ordering an adapter to mount my Pentax on a new Olympus phase-contrast microscope since it is better than the D70s.
08-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharpshoota Quote
Sounds like a troll. Her post was absolutely insulting and honestly that's the only one I've seen from her and I had to say something right away. .

Not insulting at all. You guys must be incredibly thin skinned.
I see Wendys post as a reply to those who question Bens credibility (and her own), hintet at in this thread and and openly questioned in other therads; ie he's a liar.
Anyway, the fact that he have lost his Pentax sponsorship over leaked information should at least provide proof that he is not talking ********....

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 08-19-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
08-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Me too, didn't see anything insulting (which has nothing to do with content of her predictions).
08-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I see Wendys post as a reply to those who question Bens credibility, hintet at in this thread and and openly questioned in other therads; ie he's a liar.
Anyway, the fact that he have lost his Pentax sponsorship over leaked information should at least provide proof that he is not talking ********....
No one has questioned Ben's credibility in this particular thread. Its been the opposite. Not really being thin skinned either. Just pointing out her short sightedness is all. Most of us on the forum are interested in Pentax equipment, vintage, new and future.

Last edited by Blue; 08-20-2008 at 07:27 PM.
08-19-2008, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For future reference: this National Geographic photographer shoots with Pentax...

[quote=TaoMaas;320579][quote=sharpshoota;320524] Any national geographic photog will have some links to their stuff. Even a blog maybe.
QuoteQuote:

Uh...not necessarily true. I know one who has worked for Nat'l Geo for 30 years and doesn't have a website, a blog, nor even use email as far as I can tell.
Here's a National Geographic photographer - Jason Edwards. I had a bit of trouble digging up the website, since I couldn't initially remember his last name... Jason is directly represented by National Geographic. Any commercial assignments and stock sales inquiries are referred by his website to contact National Geographic HQ in Washington, DC.

I think his images speak for themselves....

Bio: TEMPO rhythms of life - Photography by Jason Edwards

Quote:

Jason Edwards is an award-winning photographer with the National Geographic Society and is represented by the National Geographic Image Collection.

Jason has photographed in more than two-dozen countries and is highly regarded for his wildlife and remote landscape photography. Widely published, his work has appeared in National Geographic Magazine, Australian Geographic, BBC Wildlife Magazine, Aqua Geographia, and Nature Australia. He has also authored and photographed two children’s books.

With a reputation for self-reliance and an ability to adapt Jason’s assignments have taken him to some of the most remote and inhospitable areas on the planet. It is his love of less developed regions,and his ability to depict even well known subjects in a unique manner that has separated his images from the mainstream.

In 2004 Jason was awarded the inaugural 'Pursuit of Excellence' Award by the Australian Geographic Society, "for his extreme efforts and absolute commitment to obtaining rare and amazing photographs.”

Partial List of Clients:

National Geographic
Getty
Qantas
Australian Geographic
Amex
BBC Wildlife Magazine
IMG
National Geographic Television
Forbes Magazine
The Financial Review
Readers Digest
Kodak Australia
Elle
Nature Australia Magazine
National Geographic Kids
Lonely Planet
Emery Vincent Design
Roman Catholic Archdiocese
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo USA
Gourmet Traveller
Gekko
Airbag Productions
Carlon Leong Advertising
The Sydney Morning Herald
South Australian Tourism Commission
The Age
Royal Brunei Airlines
The Bulletin
Thomson Publishers International

Portfolio: Bio-Images

Jason's Profile: Bio-Images

I linked to this image from the page above... Nice FA * 250-600/5.6....

By the sounds of things, he seems to be doing well, but again it was not easy finding the information. Not sure if he is still shooting SLR's or has transitioned to digitial though...

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-19-2008 at 09:57 AM.
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #89
Banned

that photo is wicked, now thats more like it. +1 for using pentax.
08-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #90

I'm calling her bluff as well. Jason Edwards has a nice site and incredible photographs.